2007 MYSTERY WINE #4

According to the OARS system, it seems this is now in the warehouse. As an East Coaster, I’m looking forward to a West Coaster’s first try. Of course, the initial email seemed to indicate these may not be friendly upon open. [thankyou.gif]

Speak up if you know.

I picked my Mystery Wine #4 up…

On the label it’s identified as a “2007 Columbia Valley, Reserve, Red Wine” that’s “49% Cabernet Franc, 40% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Malbec, 3% Petit Verdot.”

Upon opening, it was very green and very tightly wound…after 4 hours of decanting it opened up quite a bit and had a nice mid palate and fairly solid finish of blackberry and currents. It was fairly smooth too.

I’ve got no clue which wine this was. At the $19.99 price tag it seems to be pretty worth it, but I’d never pay its original retail of $65…its good but not as good as Rimmerman suggests…not close, but still worth the buy. I give it a 91.

Is there a brand on the label, or is it just a generic label?

I wonder if the blend is exactly correct, or fudged a bit to conceal what the wine really is? That blend is similar to, but not quite the same as the Andrew Will Ciel du Cheval or Cadence Bel Canto.

Doing a search on the blend- many other wineries show wines with similar blends. I don’t trust the “original retail” price that much.

Frank - you may be right…the amount %'s were probably fudged…the wine was labeled as “Renegade Wine Co” and produced by “Sleight of Hand Cellars” which of course it wasn’t

Hector, that sounds like Mystery Wine #1:

(image from CellarTracker)

Is that what you picked up?

Yeah, I just picked mine up today. Same label, but I guess it’s a different wine? I went back and re-read the offer on the 1st mystery wine (thanks CT) and I guess Trey Busch is just the middle man that labels, corks and re-sells the stuff. Seems odd to use the same label, but it’s a completely different wine?

I haven’t tried it yet - hope to soon.

That’s really strange. You’d think they would at least call it Reserve Red II or find some other way to differentiate it from MW #1. So it sounds like the front label is the same for both, but the back label for MW #4 has the blend, while the back label for MW #1 doesn’t? One other difference (from reading the offers) is that MW #1 is under screw cap while MW #4 is under cork.