TN: 2005 Joanin Becot

Pop and poured.

I got in late last night after spending time in the water so I didn’t want to open something expensive hence this wine.

No mistaking the nose for bdx, I could swirl and sniff it all night, however the palate was tight and it became disjointed. I only drank about 1/3 of the bottle and was content to just enjoy the nose. I’ll revisit the rest of the bottle tonight and add to the note.

Steve,

Looking forward to hearing more. I just have a few of these in the cellar and haven’t opened one yet. I was thinking around the 10 year mark, but maybe sooner?

Chris

I bought a case of these and they were great QPRs on release but the last few I’ve had have not been as expressive as the first four or five. I’m going to wait at least five years before going there again.

+1

Yup, a lot of these '05 Crus are big, chewy mommas. The Becot is one of them. Just had the Johanna, which tasted better on day three! I’m giving these puppies five years minimum before I start rolling them out again (well, some I cannot resist, so keep checking in). Funny with all this hoopla about '09, and I still keep backfilling with, among other vintages, '05, which now has better pricing.

Day 2.

Well it was a bit of a waste opening this wine, IMO it’s not going to be ready for a few years. On release it was a very nice wine but the last couple have been bad.

Wish I had better news.

My mom really likes this wine. I probably opened a case of it on release and have set another couple of cases away. Agreed that it’s not a great time right now, but I suspect the wine will be really nice again in a few years.

Cheers!

\

• Frank [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note!

I too was enamored with this wine in its youth. It was a fun way to introduce friends to Bordeaux in a sexy, easy to comprehend package… It was also a lesson on how hard and fast a wine can shut down. One month open for business and drinking great and then the next clamped down tight…

I’m hoping for good things from this wine down the road. I recently scored a case of this on Winebid for $15 per.

Reese

Nice.