Some Uncle Bob Quotes From The New HGs

On Shirvington 2002 Shiraz:
“While it is a poster child for modern Australian wine that is often maligned by narrow-minded tasters, this 2002 has not fallen apart.” 96 points

On Harlan 1997:
“The 1997 Harlan Estate is considered somewhat controversial because there are rumors that some bottles have been plagued with excessive amounts of volatile acidity. However, I have never encountered that problem in any of my tastings. It represents a Napa Valley version of a great Graves blended with a top-notch Pauillac.” 100 points

At least he is consistent.

On the 1997 Harlan, he consistently manages to forget a bottle that was served to him at a luncheon with BB members and which he agreed was ‘off’ and not proper.

Nothing new.
deadhorse

When one is trying to make a point it is always convenient to forget the facts.

Oh, god! I wish he had been at the Aussie SLONYC dinner in October last year so he could have explained to us all how the 2002 Shirvington hadn’t fallen apart and how narrow-minded we all were. [rofl.gif]

I’ll tell you what, I’m actually thankful for Parker’s notes here. Previously, it was impossible to determine the style of the wine from his notes (“greatest ever” and “hypothetical blend” isn’t useful when you’re trying to determine the relative style of the wine). Now, it seems from these notes anyway, you can easily determine where he’s coming from and he’s acknowledging his dissenters. Of course, anyone that describes those that don’t agree with his stylistic preferences as narrow-minded is a douche bag of the highest order without qualification. But at least you finally know where he’s coming from. I’ve been asking for this for years. We should all be thankful.

I’m also happy to read that an 8-year old $150 wine hasn’t fallen apart. So koods to Shirvington. [welldone.gif]

[rofl.gif]

It’s true, if you are broad-minded enough to consider a hypothetical 50/50 blend of grain alcohol and Welch’s concord grape juice “great wine”, then the 2002 Shirvington is a great wine. newhere

See? I told you! (Steve et al)

Vindicated at last!

pileon [snort.gif] newhere [smileyvault-ban.gif] [thankyou.gif]

Maybe you should email him and remind him. I doubt you would get a response but it would be fun if you did.

Paul, trust me, if I was at the lunch and tasted the bottle myself I already would have. I believe Jim Clary was one of the folks at the table. Were you at the event too?

When you add in the fact that it’s a 96-pointer, I’d say it’s beaten the odds.

What a bunch of BS. I had the '02 Shirvington last month…my last bottle, purchased on release and kept under ideal conditions. While still enjoyable, the wine is losing its vigor and showing its alcohol. The wines best days are long gone and it should be drunk up ASAP.

Eric, just to clarify, was the flaw in the off bottle indeed determined to be VA?

look, you’re obviously a narrow-minded retard. it’s amazing you manage to walk upright.

try expanding your mind a little.

as Shakespeare famously wrote, “the alcohol’s the thing.”

The cognitive dissonance in his head must be unreal

Yeah.

The box…think outside of it sometimes.

How did you miss this?

“This was an outstanding showcase for Spanish wines. Some of the older vintages have also fallen victim to irresponsible comments by those who believe that if a wine is not green, mean, weedy, and aged in dirty wood, it has no merit.”

You “green meanies” out there know who you are. Shame on you!

i’d rather have that than gout. oh wait, he has both!

uncle bob? really? it’s high time for grandpa bob, no?

but in all seriousness it breaks my heart to see someone who used to be so influential to me become so ridiculous.

did anyone see his post on erp about a cartoon being created about him? my first thought was - nothing new here, you have become a cartoon…you and your palate.