Boulay Sancerre?

I’m curious about this low-profile producer. Has anyone here tasted his wines? I think he does a basic Chavingnol, a rouge, and single-vineyard bottlings from Beaujeu and Monts Damnes, plus a special selection from the latter called ‘Comtesse.’ I gather his style is a bit denser and rounder than the regional stereotype.

Thanks!

Ian,

Really excellent producer, if not very typical in the same vein as François Cotat isn’t typical. I have not tasted the Pinot Noir, but I highly recommend both the Monts Damnées & Culs de Beaujeu and the basic Sancerre as well.
As it happens, I have only yesterday gotten the green light to start posting notes from a client who is now an importer, but I haven’t found them yet!

If I’d have to give you the skinny in one paragraph, this is Cotat styled wine which is only a little less concentrated and precise, at a substantial discount from that iconoclastic domaine. From the 2008 vintage I especially liked the two crus, the Comtesse not so much as it has seen some oak which I’m not sure the wine will absorb. You should know however, that I’m not a huge fan of small/new oak barrel-raised Sauvignon Blanc in general. Finally, the basic Sancerre 2009 was quite impressive if maybe a little heavy.

I really enjoy these wines. We had a Boulay v Dagueneau tasting last winter and the Boulay wines were the preference of most, if not all participants. The basic Chavignol has a lot of weight, but I found the svd wines to be quite racy and extremely well put together for long term aging. The Comtesse is a bit more round than the other two, but it is also one of the most elegant SB’s I’ve tasted.

Thanks for the responses. I tried an 08 AOC a few months ago and didn’t love it, but I’m feeling my way into Sancerre. I like the acidity, but am ambivalent about the typical varietal taste; I guess I’m wondering if the standard SB tastes recede in the upper-end bottlings.

I’m not an oak ideaologist one way or the other, FWIW; if it’s used skillfully, why not?

I love this producer. I’ve bought a couple vintages of Beaujeu and Mont Damnes for around $33 from Garagiste and have been extremely happy. Pretty expressive fruit with strong mineral qualities.

Thanks, Chris. Did you happen to try the 07 Beaujeu by chance?

I’ve read Garagiste’s notes in CT - just curious, do you recall their pricing for magnums?

Thanks again.

No recollection on the 07’s though it may have happened. Only positive thoughts on the producer so I wouldn’t imagine I’ve had a poor performing taste. [wink.gif]

Found an old email about the 08 mag at $68.90

I love the Pinot. But you know how they say Margaux has a mind blowing nose that is typically better than the palate. The nose of the Pinot is lush and sweet but the palate was dry. A fantastic wine nonetheless! But some may want a sweeter fruitier Pinot and feel let down.

Thanks again for the responses.

I’ve only had Sancerre rouge once: by itself it was undistinguished, with the food it was memorable. Who knows, if warming continues, Sancerre may be the new Burgundy in a couple of generations.