TN: 2004 Guido Porro Barolo, Vigna Lazzairasco

A very nice wine. Very aromatic, with lots of floral notes of roses and violets. Some blackberries and tar, and lots of other fruits. No wood detected. Very nice 92 pts.

Edited to add in the price of $29.95…crazzzzy!

I haven’t had the 04, but the 05 was a big hit when group of mine tasted 05 Baroli blindly. We loaded up.

Thanks for the note, Otto. Both the 04 amd 05 are seriously good, old-school Barolo for a song; perfumed and elegant stuff.

Not crazy but completely sane. What is crazy is wine drinkers that think that wine under $30 should be crap or who throw tons of money at wine. [scratch.gif]

Yep,me too!

Nice note,Otto.

These are the single best values in Nebbiolo today.

The terroir of Lazzairasco is fairly distinctive making these really classic wines of place.

And Guido is a wonderful fellow.

I’m glad these wines are getting the love they deserve.

Thanks for turning me onto them, Greg.

Yep,me too!

Any comparisons to the 2005 currently on the market?

There’s a pretty significant difference between '04 and '05 in Barolo - the '05’s being more approachable young, but lacking the gorgeous nose and big, harsh (young) structure of the '04.

I haven’t found harsh structure or lack of approachability in the 04’s I have had. I would say they are quite rich with very ripe and round tannin in my experience. I haven’t had nearly as many 05’s as 04’s but the few I have had have been a bit more precise and fresher. I understand 05 produced more variable quality but I quite like what I have had of both vintages thus far.

I haven’t had any Guido Porro wines but this thread makes me think I should.

Well, I didn’t either, when they were first released, then, more recently, they have closed down (the more classically styled Baroli, not the new world styles).

Since I started buying Porro’s Baroli a few years back, I always thought that they would be more popular if they cost two or three times as much. Fortunately, the price has remained the same, and the wines remain superb. Porro’s Dolcetto and Barbera are terrific, as well. Here’s to Guido never subscribing to my theory. [cheers.gif]