The Passing of A Mentor

I just received notice that Don Blackburn, winemaker at Emeritus, died at his home early this morning.

Don was my first boss in wine production. He and his assistant, Kirby Anderson, hired me as a rookie cellar worker at Bernardus in 1994. From my first day on the job, I realized what a great teacher he was, in the cellar, where his skills were unparalleled, at the blending table, and in the philosophy, science and art of winemaking.

15 years after I worked for him, I still quote Don whenever I’m instructing interns during harvest. I will always be indebted to him for taking a chance on me when I had no experience outside of school.

Sorry to hear that, Ed. I don’t think I ever met Don. How old was he?

I lost a guy who had a pretty big effect on my career, Doug Wisor, who was only 31 when he died in '04. A group of us wound up putting together a scholarship in his name:

http://www.usnzee.org/scholarships.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps something similar could be done in memory of Don?

it is always sad when you lose a teacher who truly mentored. cherish his memory.

He must truly be legend-worthy if Ed Kurtzman considers him a mentor…

Sorry to hear of it, Ed.

He taught a willing student well. Sorry for your loss, Ed.

I am sorry to hear that, Ed. I’m sure it meant a lot to him that he was enriching yet another generation of interns through you.

Sorry to hear that Ed. I know how important mentors are to people, yet they seem to remain largely unsung until they pass.

Is Kirby still at Gainey?

Nate,

I believe he was about 54 or 55. Way too young, and he was always in great shape. Good idea about the scholarship in his memory.

quite unbelievable. Don was a great guy and neighbor with a true passion for poetry, hospitality and of course wine. A sad loss.

I’m very sorry to hear this. He was still quite young. I lost a mentor (while I was out helping with the '07 harvest actually) and it was quite hard. My thoughts are with you, Ed.

Sorry Ed! :frowning: Carry on the legend! You already are!

Hi Ed, I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Eric, Kirby is still at Gainey.

Ed - sorry to hear about your friend Don. Judging by your own talents, he must have been quite a mentor. I know you’re now passing the torch of his knowledge to many others.

Ed, I am so sorry to hear about this. I’m sure he was very proud of your work and what you’ve done since learning from him.

Hi Ed,

sorry to hear of this loss. His memory lives on with the great talent you have.

gino

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.

The last time I saw Don was in a restaurant in Sebastopol. He was with his wife whom he adored. He told me that they had just had one of my PNs the week before and they loved it. It was quite a thrilling thing for me to hear, coming from him.

Ed, very sorry to hear the news. As someone that’s benefited from what he taught you, I want to express my sincere condolences. He must have been a great guy and passionate teacher.

I realize this is late to post but I felt I needed to add my thoughts. Don was one of the most gifted, intelligent, insightful people I’ve ever met. He gave me a special gift-he never spoke down to me and always treated me as an intellectual equal. I loved hanging with him and talking about anything and everything. I’d drop in on him and he always stopped working to talk. I would leave his office an hour or two later and re-enter the world energized and full of new thoughts. God I’ll miss him.

An hommage to Don Blackburn, and to winemakers | STEVE HEIMOFF BLOG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another mention here: http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/a20090505.html