Kahn's Fine Wine?

Has anyone bought from there? They have something I’m interested in and I was wondering if anyone had experience with them. Thanks!

Many threads at the old place. Pass.

You know it’s coming right? [wink.gif]

DAMN YOU!!!

Thanks. One of the things I miss about the Squires board was the archive of this sort of question.

I’d bet good money that they don’t really have your wine in stock.

The name is pronounced “con”. rolleyes

Interesting to hear such negative reviews. Never ordered from them online, but for the nearly two years (ending late '09) I did a weekly commute through Indy I stopped there at least monthly. Big store, with a very good selection and solid storage and (from my experience) sourcing. OK prices… better than OH, not as good as IL.

Came for a picture of Captain Kirk. Leaving satisfied!

I saw some wines I wanted at this place and I read the thread. I also saw that there was a Berserkerday IV offer from them, with some positive comments there. Since it was only six bottles and the hassle and cost of acquiring two vintages from separate places didn’t seem worth it, I went ahead and the transaction went fine, everything was in stock and looks good.

Can someone summarize what was the problem in the past and whether or not something has changed?

Kahns is my local wine shop and I used to frequent them when they had another location that was closer to my home. I don’t know what the issues were in the past, but I have generally had good experiences with them. If you are looking at their older wines, they tend to buy them from local collectors who are thinning or selling off collections. I honestly don’t know how rigorous their inspection is, other than that they physically go to the cellar and review all the wines in person.

The BDIV offer was at my suggestion because they had too much $$ tied up in Yquem that they wanted to offload. I was hoping the offer would be much lower.

In terms of wines not in stock, they have two issues I know of. First, their inventory isn’t even close to being real-time. It takes like 24 hours to update so if there is a rush on wine (like when Parker Bordeaux barrel scores come out), lots of people think they’ve bought wine online that is sold out. Second, there was a major issue with a Jadot futures (2010?). They didn’t get the wine they were promised (at least that was the story I was told) and therefore most people didn’t end up getting their wine either.

Sounds like the old (many years old now) Premier Cru inventory system :slight_smile:

My wines were 09/10 and probably not subject to any rush. Anyway everything was fine for my order.

I can’t speak for Internet orders and their inventory even in the store is not accurate, but I have purchased older wines while on the way to Chicago and they have been immaculate. Their room where they keep them is so cold as to drive me out from browsing - I actually bring a hoodie in the summer if I am going to make a stop there.

A.