Wine Berserker Barrel, Poll 1

Would you be interested in the Berserker Barrel project?

• Yes
  • No
  • Possibly, varietal depending

0 voters

Okay, folks - see the thread here for more information on the Berserker Barrel concept - Berserker Barrel idea - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers - Château Pain Grillé

At this stage, I’d like to take some rough estimates as to how much interest there would be from individuals to pursue further. Obviously the more we have interested, the less expensive it will be for everyone, and we won’t be required to each buy a couple cases, even though the wine is bound to be extraordinary and earth-shattering.

Poll 2 will be based on input here, and will deal with a vote on which varietal/blend to go with.

I ask you to vote here for your interest in the project, and if you have a preferred varietal/blend/style, please place it here in the thread.

Because I am also hoping to put together a team to work this out on a more efficient manner (so that not every minute decision is made by the masses, or we have mass hysteria), so if you have interest in being part of the Berserker Barrel Band, throw your hat in the ring.

I’m definitely interested. I would prefer a red Bordeaux style, but could go with a Pinot or even a white.

Not that interested in Syrah or Zin.

I’ve been a home wine maker for about 8 years and try to read as much as I can on wine making so I would love to be part of the “Berserker Barrel Band” and have some input on the wine making decisions.

Andy

Todd, I would like a Cabernet, Merlot, Syrah, or Pinot in that order.

No love for Zin. [cray.gif]

One barrel is 20 cases so only 240 bottles will be available.

I guess it depends on barrel size… The ‘standard’ barrels that Crushpad uses will render 25 cases or 300 bottles.

I’d be interested in a heavier red - Cab, Syrah, Zin or GSM blend

Todd, another piece of advice on dealing with a group for something like this - I suggest that there be a minimum case buy-in, in case increments. Otherwise, shipping the final product will be an absolute nightmare - send 3 bottles to this guy, 5 bottles to this guy, 18 bottles to this guy, etc…

If the group decided to go the Crushpad route, I can make myself available to be at the winery whenever I’m needed due to my proximity.

Good advice, all - keep it coming.

I would suggest going with an obscure varietal, a little edgy and definitely not mainstream.

Isn’t that what Berzerker’s are about? Charbono would be cool, or Negrette.

The point should be to make something different and interesting. Otherwise, why bother?

I think that’s a great idea. And even if we do go mainstream, I really have no preference.

How about “Manny-chevitz”…a totally juiced-up wine.

Preferably not Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, or Chardonnay. An off-beat varietal sounds interesting.

I’m open to considering any, but would prefer pinot or a GSM blend.

Thanks!

[berserker.gif] - Sounds good to me!!

Interested. I would like to do a Rhone-styled wine, preferably syrah, but I’m open-minded.

I’d be up for Cab, Syrah, Merlot or some obscure variety.

I would be more into a Rhone styled wine, but wouldn’t mind a Cab- the more obscure wines might cost a bit more as people may not want to purchase them, but I’m up for whatever.

Check the floor stacker next to the ballet bar…

And while we are at it, lets spread the love and at least inquire about my good friend and fellow board members wine, Congruence from Steve Eisenhauer.

Maybe he can do a seperate bottling/label for a group of Wineberserkers?

[berserker.gif]

We did something like this for a group of OC folks back in 05. We brought them various Syrah samples, they choose the blend, and we bottled 30 cases for them, with no labels, as they had printed thier own- Lagniappe(a special gift to share with friends and family). It was fun. They got a hell of a deal on what was essencially the 03 “Kimberly’s” Syrah, and we sold thirty cases at $216/case. For us, it generated much needed cash at the time, fans/customers in the future, and they’ve been doing it ever since. In latter years they did a Grenache from Ethan Linquist and a Pinot from Peter and Rebecca Work at Ampelos. I can see for a group of wine extremists [berserker.gif] like you guys, having more control/involvment might be more attractive- ala Crush Pad.
Carry on. [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]

I would be interested in purchasing some of the wine that is made, but as a Moderator, I think some conflicts may arise and I think it’s best if the “management” of the board takes a back seat to the project. I am very interested in this project though

Precisely, Zach. Unless someone else steps up to lead the way here, I’m going to be sure it gets to the point of launch then back off.

I’m interested and also within an hour’s drive of San Francisco, should this be done at Crushpad and require some sort of people presence. My preference would be for a Non-Zin red and not some weird obscure varietal. Pinot is possible but I believe it costs more $ doesn’t it?

I am sure that we have some rather talented graphic artists that could do up a label for it.