Doubleback - Walla Walla Release

Was late to the game on this one last year for the inaugural release but was offered the 2008’s which is reported as a great year for Washington. Was wondering what others thought. This was listed as an “up and comer” from the WS and the 2007 got very good reviews. The offer is for 6 bottles at $522 ($87 per) without the option to take fewer. For me that is a big commitment for a wine I have never had.

considering the fact that you can get Seven Hills for around $30, and Gramercy and Woodward Canyon Cabs for around $50, I’d call it a tough qpr to justify. It’s a typical big modern Cab and you are paying a lot for the names Bledsoe and Figgins.

Split the allocation last year with a family friend to see what the noise was all about but passed this year. If I would have ordered before the end of Jan, the price would have held to ONLY $82 for the next 5 yrs.
After tasting last yrs. and the $82 with the 6 bottle minimum, easy pass. Decent wine but there is enough decent wine for half the price.

Jb

Easy pass. You could load up on Betz, Andrew Will, or several other great wines and still have enough left over for a nice steak to accompany the bottle.

Seven Hills and Gramercy are notorious for high-acid, low-oak wines. I’ve never had Doubleback, but those aren’t descriptions I’d associate with the name Figgins.

I agree with you, FWIW, but if you’re a fan of Seven Hills and Gramercy you probably wouldn’t want Doubleback at any price!

Michael

Gotta give them props for the packaging. Very cool little booklet. If I was buying based just upon that, I might actually buy the wine!!

Easiest pass ever. I am sure Bledsoe never had such an easy pass when he played. The wines are probably fine, particularly if you like the Leonetti style.

The consensus among people who’ve tasted it that I’ve talked to is that it’s a nice bottle of wine, worth about $50 or so. I might agree with it if I weren’t in MA, where it’ll actually fetch that high pricetag. Bledsoe came into the store and signed almost our entire stock of bottles, too. That was a fun day.

Hail Mary Time. [rofl.gif]