TN: 2009 Donnhoff Dellchen Riesling GG

This thing is as tight as a fat German’s lederhosen. The first day it throws off a simple yet piercing scent of freshly cut pineapple and is extremely dense, chewy and backwards in the mouth. Day two and there’s Mirabelle plum along with some aniseed and plenty of mineral action. It is super intense and way too young behaving like a cordial that has had too much cordial and not enough water added. I wouldn’t touch this for perhaps a decade or more.
Cheers
Jeremy

Nice note, we’ll see if Carl Klapper agrees. [cheers.gif]

Must admit that so far I like the '08 of this more than the '09 version, although I’m sure this will change with more time.

Hi Jeremy,

Sounds like we drank different wines! Assuming someone didn’t slip some Hermansholle into your Dellchen–or that I had an advanced and you a retarded bottle–then I’d just have to say I may be more tolerant (imaginative?) when it comes to my young trocken rieslings. As I indicated in my note the other day, drinking this next to the 07 plainly reveals its youth and how much is yet to come for those with the good sense to be patient. But I would urge folks to open a bottle right now to see a great young riesling in the making. At worst they will see what’s got and make the wise decision to buy some more and lay it down. If they’re fortunate enough to be acid freaks like me they will also have added another trocken to be enjoyed now as well.

Paul, personally I prefer the 09 to the 08 at this point at least. Time will tell whether either can eventually match the fabulous 07.

Kimberly, try one!

I’m with Carl on this - loved the '09 (so far the best German trocken I’ve had in '09, though I haven’t had any '09 Rebholz yet), and have gone through a few bottles already.

Nice!