Araujo--Off Mailing List After 20 years

I was (note: past tense) a regular mail list customer of Araujo for about 20 years,usually buying my full allocation of
Eisele (case of 750’s and 3 Mags), Altagracia (second label cab), Syrah and S.B.
I intentionally passed on the 2007 Eisele for a bunch of reasons. Result: Not offered the 2008 Altagracia, but only the S.B.
So it looks like it’s one pass and you’re out at Araujo. They every right to manage their list as they see fit, but I think its
short sighted (especially in this economy). Result: I am passing on the S.B. and don’t care to do further business with them. [soap.gif]

Did you contact them about it? I find it amazing that they would drop you like that. It could happen, but I would suspect that a screw up occured.

Ouch!

Same thing happened to me. I do not think it is a screw up but more a function of how they manage their list. Poor form IMO. That being said if you asked back on I am sure they would take care of you as I can’t imagine they have a waiting list anymore.

Tom

[cheers.gif]

The LAST thing I would do is contact them. Its kind of like begging to be kicked in the teeth. Assholes.

+1

My story is the same as Enzo’s and my response was the same as Casey’s. Terrific wines but that’s a lot of $ to pay for the lack of appreciation of customer loyalty.

[soap.gif]

[cheers.gif]

1. I’m fairly certain they still have a waiting list. Someone is most probably very happy at your decision.

2. Companies learn that nothing is forever. People get old, haibts change, finances changes, but the world goes on. You must always be out looking for new customers and new opportunities to replace the old. Long term Survival depends upon it.

Happy you enjoyed the 20 years on the list and the wonderful wines! Next! [cheers.gif]

They don’t. You sign up and you’ll get it next mailer. Been that way since 05

So true. I had a corked 2000 Syrah. I emailed them. I was called and left voice mails four days in a row, even though I indicated that I could be reached by email. It was purchased by my father upon release and I inherited it when he passed. I finally called them back and was told that Bart decided that he would not return the bottle because I did not purchase it myself even thought I have purchased wine in the past. I will never buy from them again. BTW why pay $290 for a wine which could be found for half that price?

I have a feeling that this a deep sort of sarcasm but wineries like this whom have passed the Parker 100 are going to realize that customer service is the way that they are going to thrive and survive, they need a reality check.

Jb

Jay;

There was some sarcasm in my note, but also a lot of realism. Our company tries to differentiate ourselves, in the marketplace, by providing exceptional customer service and quality. We do not compete for the low end of the market. For a variety of reasons, we have to replace 20-25% of our customer base every year. Customers going out of business, customers pursueing lower prices over quality, and some accounts become more expensive to maintain than what they produce, lead the causes for this turnover. For most businesses, it is a fact of life. The wine industry is no different. At age 60+, the 06 BdMs will probably be the last vintage I will buy, because I prefer to age them. Same with the 05 Bdxs and 07 CdPs. As we Boomers change our purchasing habits, a lot of changes will take place in the marketplace. I believe that the wine industry is changing also. Point in fact is the change to the riper more drink now wines that are flooding the cab(and other variety) markets. People like me that may prefer the more traditional style lose voice to the winemaker’s preception that he has to sell to a different crowd to survive. That crowd wants wine that is approachable immediately upon release and will not age 99% of wine purchases longer than a week after such purchase.

In our case, wanting to provide exceptional customer service, we would have had a conversation with the orginal poster and listened to his concerns. We would have listened, but at some point that does not mean we would have been able to accomodate him any better than Araujo did. Life sometimes just goes on. Not necessarily for the better, but it goes on! [cheers.gif]