TN: 2007 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Central Coast (USA, Cali

• 2007 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Central Coast - USA, California, Central Coast (3/16/2011)
    Tasted over two days. Transparent ruby red. Consistent nose on both days. Red fruit and orange peel jumping out of the glass. Day 1 in the mouth, this was a bit clumsy and awkward. Red fruit, black tea and a bit of blue fruit cut to pieces with bracing acidity. The first day showed many components, but nothing really in harmony. Some mineral and tannin on the finish.

Day 2 - this has greatly improved. I opened this expecting a fruit driven wine and the fruit has really come to the front. Tart red fruit dominates the palate and the acid, while still quite evident has really settled in to provide a nice counter and keep this from being too simple. Tannins are quite soft and the finish is long. This is medium bodied, but leans toward the fuller style of Pinot.

Very nice bottle and a treat to taste it as it evolved overnight.

Posted from CellarTracker

I had a similar experience last month. It was a little clumsy but I did enjoy that orange peel. I double decanted and let it sit open for a few hours at dinner. It just never showed anything too great.

While an average wine, it’s not as good as the other 07 W-S appellation wines. It also just doesn’t have the fruit profile that I think W-S does well (SC or RRV). Live and learn.

My notes: TN: 2007 Williams Selyem Central Coast Pinot Noir - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

This wine needs a lot more cellar time before it comes together.