'06 vs. '07 Barolo?

I’m unfortunately forced to limit purchases to one of these. Does anyone have a good sense either through tasting ot the various data inputs as to which is better?
Thanks.

Why not allocate your allotted budget to sampling some of both and deciding for yourself?

Young vs. younger.

couldn’t one say that wrt nearly any question asked on this board? FWIW, I’m interested in the answer to this question too. I understand that people may differ in terms of subjective impressions, but I’m sure more than one person is interested in the consensus on what’s the better vintage, and what are the characteristics of the two vintages?

If you’re buying based on cellaring for several (and I really mean several) years, either vintage will reward you for your patience. I have tasted many more of the '06 than the '07, the latter just beginning to show up in previews, and I love both. In fact, as far as I’m concerned, vintages 2004 through 2007 offer many excellent wines, with the 2005 being the most approachable. I find it more important to select the right producer rather than the right vintage. IMHO.

The '07 are incredibly approachable RIGHT NOW… If you like '97 or '00, you will love '07… If you love '96, '04 go with '06… For once, I don’t feel like the '07 hype is misplaced IF you want slutty nebbiolo. I’ve already landed my '07 baroli (Germano Angeleo and Bosco Agostino) and everyone I’m tasting with up here in the Bay Area seems to agree - they are simply amazed at how well the '07s are drinking right now.

I’ve been drinking an 06 Bosco Agostino ‘la Serra’ [Barolo] the last 3 nights. It’s stern, still very tannic wine, with lots of acidity, with a bouquet that leans toward the floral side. The SO passed on it, finding it a bit too lean, and went with a Negroni instead. This sort of feels a touch like the hard Bdx vintages of yesteryear, and I doubt it will ever come around in balance. The fruit is too lean I think. Still an interesting wine in its own way, and I still enjoyed it, but would not look for the producer again. An anti QPR if you will. B-, charitably.

Opened a 2006 Elio Grasso Gavarini Chiniera…stellar bottle of wine, only thing I’d change is stand it up for 2 weeks as it threw a bunch of sediment.

Could have been a single bottle issue.

resurrection of a 9-year-old thread!

Hi, Chris

with respect, not sure where you are along your wine journey, but I’d advise to abandon this type of thinking “as to which is better?”

For some, 2006 is better. For others, absolutely 2007 is better. Or 2009, or 2001, etc. As others have said, it comes down to personal preference, time horizon, etc.

Both seem pretty readily available in secondary markets, so buy a few of each in the coming 24 months, open them up, and report back with your idea of which is better - for you.

in very simple terms, without knowing the specific wine

06 if you want to cellar it for a decade or more
07 if you’d be likely to drink it sooner

generally speaking, I’d agree. It’s not this way in every instance. People need to weight this reality into all of their decision making, imho. It’s our nature to love the over-simplified, the easy to digest. I submit: the use, and acceptance, by most, of ‘points’/‘scores’. Ha! deadhorse