TN: 2003 Château Rieussec

I have wanted to check in on a number of 2003 sauternes lately so I decided to pop this on a rainy Thursday night. The last time I had this wine was December of 2009 and it has really improved. Seems as if the viscosity has calmed down and a bit acid is beginning to pop out in the middle. Definitely one of the better sauternes from this vintage. As the wine ages I think it will flesh out even more and come into better balance than it already has. It clearly wont go the distance that the 01 will but this should continue to develop and probably hit a sweet spot in the next few years and hopefully drink well for some time after that.

• 2003 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (3/24/2011)
    Gave the wine about 30 minutes of air in the bottle, served from a 375ml. Nice dark yellow color with an orange tinge to it. Pretty nose of sun dried apricots, peach skin, sweet white lilacs and mellow botrytis scents. On the palate is a decently balanced wine with nice concentration and while 03 lacked acid this has almost enough for my tastes. Sweet white pepper laden oak, peach pie filling, bit of toasted almonds and a hint of fresh vanilla bean. After more time in the glass the nose continues to develop revealing white peach, some sweet citrus components and a touch of warm honey. Palate has also brightened up a bit, more white peach, starfruit, lemon zest and more spicy oak. Nice body, acid picks up towards the end and the viscosity has toned down a little. Balances out nicely with air but the wine could use a bit more time to integrate. While I dont think this has the stuffing to make old bones like the 01 does this should drink nicely for some time. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’ve got one of these left. Thanks for the note, Tyler. I might need to pop it soon. The last one I had about a year ago seemed flabbier than earlier bottles.

I agree, the one I had back in 2009 from the same case was much more flabby than this bottle. I was pleasantly surprised with the acid and balance that came around since 2009. If I had one bottle left I would probably pop it at the 10 year mark.

I opened one up last week and found it fabulous! I was afraid because of all I had read about the lack of acidity but found a pleasantly balanced wine. I double decanted 12 hours earlier in the day and enjoyed it with a dessert of blue cheeses and nuts, but it could have easily stood out by itself. If I had more, I think I would hold them for a few years.

I too had one of about 9 or so left that I have of this wine a couple weeks back, and it is doing OK—still not stellar, but with some balance and a better level of elegance and carry than many of the others. It’s a “friendly” wine, but not a knee-buckling sauternes (like the 01 or, I suspect, like the 07 will be based on early tastes). My fave 03s have been Climens, which did capture a true measure of acidity, balance and elegance, and La Tour Blanche which really caught the nature of the ripe vintage and got the most out of it enjoyment-wise, at least for me.

Anyone try the 2003 Coutet recently?

Nice note, Tyler. I’ll have to keep an eye out for some of this…

The last time I had this was last year and it was very disappointing. IMO, probably one of the weakest 2003’s, seemed really advanced, no acid whatsoever and very cloying. Not sure if its come around since then but it didn’t show much to be hopeful for.

+1. You could have written my TN, Tyler. I have given some of these back to our LCBO. On release, it was OK because it was so flamboyant and so opposite to the 2001 version. But my last taste, it had lost all of the intensity and gained nothing in terms of interest.

Nice note, Tyler. I bought a bunch of these on sale last summer and have enjoyed each bottle. I agree that it is not in the same class as the '01, but it was well worth the price. I have not had the '03 Coutet but have had and enjoyed both the '03 Suduiraut and '03 La Tour Blanche.

Thanks,
Ed.

I just picked up some at about $25/half, so I’ll try one and let you know what I think. I’ve always enjoyed Rieussec even in off vintages, and I’m expecting the 03 to be better than that.

I opened the first bottle of three 2003 Chateau Suduiraut at an offline last October and it was drinking quite well. Will probably open another in 2013. The Suduiraut was also considered one of the better Sauternes for that super hot vintage year.

Just had this at a dinner last night and your note is spot on. My inner acidophile couldn’t rate it quite so highly, but it was still surprisingly nice.

RT

Anyone have any input on how the d’Yquem is in '03? My wife got on winebid and bought a 750ml that I’m a little curious for some feedback on. (sorry for the thread drift)

By a good margin the best sauternes in 2003, followed by climens and de fargues. I have seen 750’s as low as $199 at retail and a bargain when compared to other yquem vintages. Not sure what climes and yquem did differently in 2003 but they managed to really get some acid from a vintage that lacked it overall.

I was poised Mike, I was poised …

Thanks Tyler…most helpful.

I echo Tyler. I don’t have much Yquem experience, but the 03 is stunning. Definitely not low in acid, and so deliciously complex that–at least for me–it was a paradigm-shifter.

[rofl.gif]