TN: 1974 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant

• 1974 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Romanée St. Vivant Grand Cru (3/27/2011)
    Consumed from a perfectly stored bottle, this was everything I ever want in Burgundy. Rose petals on the nose, bacon on the palate, silky smooth with a rediculously long finish. I expected this to be either: a quick show from a tired wine; a slow evolution from a sleeping beauty. It was neither - absolutely beautiful out of the gate it blossomed even further over the first half hour and lasted another two hours without diminishing at all.

Funny thing though - the cork said Richebourg! (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

DAAAAAAAAAMN!!! I thought you were saving that one for my next birthday (1974) [wow.gif]

Killer tasting note Ed. What a treat! What was the occasion?

Hi Phil!! If only we could’ve sent you a glass, you’d have loved it.

The occasion: Nothing other than it was time for something nice, REALLY nice.
[drinkers.gif]

Nice note Ed…don’t let Phil try to pry that last bottle you’re holding out of your hands. [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note Ed - I’m a 74’er also Phillip! Didn’t know DRC from '74 could turn out that good… CHEERS

I will try to keep him at bay however, he DOES carry a gun! [shock.gif]

(I actually had no idea '74 was Phil’s birth year - such a youngster he is!)

Yeah - '74 doesn’t have much of a reputation but this wine easily makes my top 5 ever.

Bizarre about the cork. Question though is what’s more likely–RSV got the wrong cork or Richebourg got the wrong label? Knowing the labels come on much later, I might be inclined to figure the latter. Sounds like a delicious RSV or Richebourg or whatever-it-was, though.

A lovely Romanee St-Richebourg

I’d also be inclined to believe the cork rather than the label.
alan

Hi All,
Thanks for the comments. I’m inclined to believe it was Richebourg as well.

I have had many corks of DRC wines with this black top.
What is amazing is that they smell earth.

Concerning 1974, it was a good plan to buy DRC wines as they were extremely cheap due to the year and extremely good due to the talent of the father of Aubert de Villaine and the father of Bernard Noblet.

I have drunk seven times DRC wines of 1974 for my pleasure, the RC DRC being a very great moment. The colour was very light, but the complexity was unique.

Bravo for your RSV because I think that the roses are more present in the RSV than in the Richebourg.

You nailed if Francois - as soon as the cork was pulled the room was filled with a very strong smell of potting soil. It was absolutely amazing, something I’ve never experienced.

I have told it to Aubert de Villaine, as it is very characteristic.
But he has never remarked it as all the DRC bottles that he drinks, coming from the Domaine’s cellar, have never had capsules.

Sounds like a delicious experience Ed. I am sure your wife was stoked. I have not had potting soil aroma fill a room from a bottle of wine. It’s a good thing you did not share it with Steve, he would have called it dirt. [cheers.gif]

Fixed!

Of course not, you use a bong. neener

Wow, I thought my La Tache 1974 would be dead despite looking perfect, guess I better check the the cork, maybe an RSV, lol.

Really, never thought about opening it despite owning it for decades as found out was a bum year. Surprise, surprise, surprise.