Wines at WINO in New Orleans

WINO in New Orleans (1 page view)
4/7/2011 (New Orleans, LA)

What a great little wine bar in the Warehouse District in New Orleans, LA.

2008 Château du Seuil Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves
the nose showed fresh lemons and a hint of apricot. minerals as well. the palate is fresh and zippy with a creamy body that makes it a pleasure to drink. the finish shows lemons, white peach, saline and minerals. a great wine to sip on a hot day in New Orleans. (87 pts.)

2002 Château Haut-Batailley - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
vibrant purple color. currants, cedar, leaves and incese on the nose, with a hint of green pepper. flavors of black cherries, accented by pencil shavings and licorice. tannins are still tough, but balanced be acid. soft, warm finish. (89 pts.)

2006 J.L. Chave Sélection Crozes-Hermitage Silene - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage
dark purple color. nose shows black olives, black cherries and squid ink. gorgeous balane and mouthfeel. medium acid and tannins. black cherry and black olives and bacon drippings. soft finish, a kick of green olive. exquisite finish. what i love about the northern rhone for a fraction of the price. (91 pts.)

2003 Bert Simon Serriger Würtzberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
the nose is an explosion of honeyed peah, cotton candy. plump apricot and honey on the palate. a nutty almost hazelnut flavor. low on acid and minerals. given the vintage, but still intense and fresh. rich, whipped honey on the finish. (88 pts.)

Thanks for the notes, fun place. I think I went 3 times in 5 days the last time I was in Nola.

this place is an oenophile’s dream. i brought a book there and blew two hours sipping great wine. awesome.

WINO is a great place. And head over to Lucy’s afterward!

Isaac,

I was at WINO on the 5th and also had the Chave CH! Your notes are spot on, a really nice syrah for the price, with subtle but bright fruit, some earth and superb balance. I also had a really nice White Bourgogne but I forget the name (damn, I hate when that happens, I forgot to write down the name!)…WINO is a cool place to try some different wines…

We went to dinner afterwards at Orleans Grapevine, a really nice small restaurant that is a diamond in the rough. I think I had the best rack of lamb I have ever had there and the wine list, while small is well chosen and fun. I had not been to NO since Katrina and had a great time. Hope to go back soon…

no way! small world. i was the guy with tattoos writing in a journal. i hope to go back to NO soon. the whole wareheouse district has really taken off from what i saw. after WINO i went to a sandwich shop. just down the street called butcher. they cure their own meat and make their own potato chips in sunflower oil. amazing food and they had a chardonnay from the jura by the glass. new orleans is such a great city.