TN: 2009 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Kabinett

I have been looking forward to trying a 2009 German Riesling since the notes started coming across the wire a few months ago, and this is my first. The nose is pretty reluctant now, but with some swirling some citrus notes come out. On opening, there was a good amount of spritz in the wine. Out of the gate, there is a promise of some petrol and slate notes to go along with the green apple and tart lime flavors, but after about an hour the slate & petrol, along with most of the spritz, disappeared and the green apple, citrus rind, and zippy acid took control. There are hints of other fruit flavors as well (white peach? cherry?). This youngster is very refreshing and light in the mouth, but it’s a bit fruit dominated now.

Thanks for the note. I’m considering some Willi Schaeffer 2009 wines as well as others from the Mosel for a purchase early next month.

Thanks for the notes… had this a few months ago, seems like it has a great future ahead of it… my only problem: all of my bottles came under screw cap… in my opinion this is not an easy drinking quaffer, but a bottle that will greatly improve with some time in the bottle… we shall see how the closure plays into it over the next 10 years or so…

I agree this one will benefit from time. It seems to be in a youthful, one-dimensional place at the moment and offers only hints at what it might be in five or ten years. My bottles also are finished with screw caps, and I confess to being a little curious how the wine will turn out with age. At least I don’t have to worry about cork failure? [shrug.gif]

2009 Willi Schaeffers are pretty special accross the board IMO

This is as close to a sure thing as there is!

Took out the first and last part of your comment to make it more accurate. [cheers.gif]

The sentence would have no subject

Berry - I took out 2009 and IMO.

Reasoning: Willi Schaefer wines are special, regardless of vintage or individual. [cheers.gif]

Can’t argue with that!

we tasted the full line with herr schaefer when we visited last july, and they were quite special top to bottom. the 09 domprobst is much less evolved than the 07, but if it evolves in a similar manner it will be stunning, and hard to imagine a sub-20$ wine offering more value. at that price, i’m not about to question this humble genius’s decision to use screw top

[winner.gif] Yeah! I love wines with fruit and so far none of the 2009 German Rieslings have disappointed.

Sub $20s where?

that was pre-release pricing

Fruit in wine is good, especially when it’s mixed with rocks and covered in petrol.

Agreed.

The Graacher Himmelreich is still around under $20, and it is no slouch.

Petrol. Yucch. You put petrol in your syrah and I’ll never let another bottle of it in my house. As far as I am concerned, petrol in Riesling is like fecal notes in CndP. If I want petrol in my food, I’ll sprinkle on some gasoline and if I want fecal notes, I’ll eat . . . nah.

Saxum was conceived with you in mind. Not that that’s a bad thing, just different strokes. [berserker.gif]