Wine shipped in two parcels for no apparent reason - what is your strangest story?

This just happened to me last week. I noticed that the weight seemed light on the shipping info. It shows up and only 4 out of 12 bottles. I called and they said it was a mix up. Looks like I get the next 8 bottles next week.

Not really complaining except I am sure I will get nailed with some extra shipping costs - whatever - I am happy as long as I get my wine - just seems kind of strange - curious what is your most unusual circumstance?

hitchiking in Idaho near Rathdrum and was offered a ride by a guy in a station wagon with a cadaver in the back on a little ambulance type bed.

Nothing to do with wine, but a very unusual circumstance.

And yes, i declined the ride.

Stripper named ‘Stacy’ sitting on my lap in NOLA putting back on her top and telling me “I’m going to vote for George Bush, because George Bush is with Jesus and I don’t want a President who isn’t with Jesus.”

I didn’t decline the ride.

Bunch of people are in my wine cellar, packing up for a move. One of the men jokes that the women are not very good at figuring out which bottles fit in which boxes. My wife (now ex-wife) holds up her thumb and index finger, about 2 inches apart. “That’s because for all these years we’ve been told that this much is 9 inches”.

I think he meant “strangest wine story” but keep 'em coming, these are great!

John, my dad used to be a funeral director. The worst was when I needed a ride from school and he would send the “meat wagon” instead of a normal car.

I’m in college. Summer job, and one Friday afternoon, 3 or 4 crews are drinking in a tittie bar. There is a certain amount of “tension” between our table and another table. I go to the bathroom, gone one minute max. When I come out, the place is full of cops. All my mates and the other table too are being arrested for brawling. The precint house was next door to the bar, and I don’t know for sure, but there must have been a hard-wired alarm bell from the bar to the police station. A cop told me to scram, and I kept walking. I am grateful that the foreman waited until the college boy was in the bathroom before pouring his beer over that other guy’s head.

[cheers.gif]

My stories are NSFW.

Enzo what was the bottle?

A few years ago I canceled a case of futures with a store that seemed about to go out of business. I got a full refund with the store’s apologies because they had been promising an imminent delivery for about a year. I thought I was lucky because a month or two after that the store actually went out of business. I became luckier when out of the blue about a week later the canceled case of wine showed up at my door. I tried to contact the appropriate parties, leaving messages and such, but received no response. Oh well. Nice wine.

I have seen this done by shipping companies who ship into non-compliant sates.

A couple of years ago I ordered a half case of Baumard QdC from Winex in January. I scheduled the bottles to ship 2 day air and arrive during a January thaw we were having only Winex accidentally shipped the bottles ground. A week later, when the bottles finally arrived, the temp was 15 below that morning with highs predicted in the single digits. Amazingly the bottles were very cool to the touch but not frozen in any way. I’ve become much more patient these days and I avoid shipping during the winter months.

I just remembered another kinda strange one… Many years ago when shipping from wineries to Vermont was still in a grey legal area we were scheduled to receive 2 cases via UPS from Leonetti. The wine never showed on the day it was supposed to arrive which made me worried. That evening, I got a call from UPS. The woman on the phone explained to me that they discovered the box contained wine and were going to dump it (not even sure if that is legal? but that’s what she said) however they freaked out at the value when the saw the invoice. She said I’d better get my ass over to the UPS hub pronto to pick it up… I happily obliged.

4 months ago on a Tuesday night a friend of mine and I were having a couple of glasses of wine at my dining room table when my dogs started to go berserk. I walked to the front door and noticed a small group of 4-5 people standing there. My neighborhood is very quite, and we dont get solicitors. I opened the door and an attractive black woman asked me if Jennifer is home. Jennifer is my neighbor who was getting married on Saturday of that week. I told her and the rest of the group that they had the wrong house and Jennifer is my neighbor. While looking at the group of people I noticed a familiar face. Reverend Al Sharpton was standing on my doorstep. He was hired by my neighbors to officiate the wedding.

DrinkTheGrapes. Say no more.

I small UFO flew through my backyard and was witnessed by 4 people. By far the strangest thing that has ever happened to me.

In 1976 I was helping a friend clean out a basement when I heard him say that the bottle of wine in his hand couldn’t be any good as it had turned brown. Before I could say anything he tossed it into a garbage can with some other junk and bottles and I heard it shatter on some pipes that were in the can. I reached in and found the remnants of a bottle of 1953 d’ Yquem. God only knows where it came from since it was the only bottle of wine we found in the cellar (although we did find and drink an unopened bottle of Scotch.)