TN: 2000 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Crianza Viña Gravonia

• 2000 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Crianza Viña Gravonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (5/1/2011)
    Where to begin? Deep yellow color. When I first opened the wine, the nose showed a bizarre bleu cheese component which blew off with a slow-ox. This wine is best served at cellar temp to really get a great sense of the aromatics. It showed floral notes along with hazelnuts, a hint of orange peel and some banana. Layers and layers. Someone I was drinking with said that this won’t be for everyone, but I can’t imagine how not to love this wine. Medium bodied on the palate, oxidiative in style, but somehow bright and fresh. Notes of apricot, blood orange, nutty/sherry flavors and even a little tar just bend your palate and mind simultaneously. Long, complex finish leaves a clean and pleasing feel in your mouth.

For those not familiar with this producer, give them a shot. This is a Crianza bottling and is among my two or three favorites so far this year. The Reserva and Gran Reserva bottlings are even more special. Enchanting and haunting all at once.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note. I also love this wine and it’s flat out CHEAP for the quality.