Weekend Challenge---Pop Your Most Obscure Bottle

So, I am digging around in my wines and I find something that I bought long ago during my early days of wine collecting…a 375 mL bottle of Ponderosa Valley Vineyards Riesling Late Harvest, vintage 1998, from New Mexico. In the ice box right now chillin’.

Go ahead and top that.

Most likely far over the hill, but resting in my cabinet and possibly appearing on Saturday, now that you’ve challenged me:

1997 Pfenix Cabernet Pfeffer Gimelli Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Cienega Valley)

My dad brought a bottle of Chinese ice wine back from a trip there a few years ago. I might as well open that one this weekend, and I’ll loop back with whatever the name of it is.

Dang, I wish I had something obscure to pop.

happen to be going to a double-blind “strange varietal” tasting tomorrow afternoon…so, there should be an interesting mix of wines being opened. notes to follow.

Hmm…one or perhaps two of:

1986 Rieussec ‘R’ (the dry wine from them)
1988 de Montille Bourgogne
or a 1992 Columbian wine.

The university has a vineyard?!?!? In upper Manhattan no less?!?!?! [wow.gif] neener

Probably the best i can do here is the 2000 Musar Blanc or a sparkling Chardonnay from S. Africa. I’m sure at least one of those two will disappear this weekend!

Does a Ribolla from Primorje, Slovenia count?

Not too obscure, but I was thinking of popping a sparkling Cab Franc from the Loire this weekend.

Rick, if the columbian wine produces tartrate crystals, snort em. Just for kicks.

Love it - pulling out a Missouri Norton from the 90s

I’m sure many a student at Columbia source fine Colombian crystals :wink:

And I’d pretty strongly recommend an Adderall to ensure that you get your notes typed up for us by morning.

Already opened the bottle then saw this thread… Having the 2008 Rezzadore Tai Rosso Monte Oseliera . The grape is Tocai Rosso from the Colli Berici (Veneto region) bought from Posner. Light and delicious! [cheers.gif]

Petite syrah from Mexico (L. A. Cetto).

I’ve got a '68 Yquem “Y”…not idea what that’s like…

Mine has to be a Fattoria La Vialla “Barriccato” 2003 which was a gift from a friend in our German office.

This is from an organic farm in Tuscany that produces, along with wine, olive oils, vinegars, and food. I don’t know anything about it, except it’s labeled Vino da Tavola, which I think maybe makes it a Sangiovese/Cabernet blend.

Popped a NV Blanc de Blancs from Dragon Seal Winery in Hebei, China. meh

Not my bottle…but I did find it earlier this week…anybody?