TN: 2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Sleepy Hollow Vineyard

• 2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Sleepy Hollow Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (5/8/2011)
    Followed over 3 days.
    The nose is quite alluring and showing notions of sappy and meaty dark red fruits and roses. My favorite element of the wine, though, is the sense of energetic harmony that can only be found in wines that are still youthful, but have fully shed their baby-fat. There’s a deliciously pure punch to the fruit on entry, which precedes a striking palate presence and lengthy, somewhat nervy finish. Awesome stuff. It seems to me that this wine is just starting to stretch its legs and entering into what, I expect, should be a lengthy prime drinking window.

Posted from CellarTracker

Awesome stuff, indeed. Agree 100%.

What was the comparison between Day 1, Day 2 and Day 3? The only bottle that I have opened (October 2010) was better on Day 2 & 3.

IIRC, Joe considers this the best SH PN he’s ever made. Also IIRC, he suggests continuing to hold these.

Greg - I opened the wine on Friday night and immediately filled a screw top .375ml bottle all the way to the top and popped it into the fridge. I drank almost all of the first half on Friday night, save for a glass on Saturday. I think the second half of the wine, which I consumed today, drank the best…though would not say that there was a remarkable change in character between today’s and Friday’s experience.

Brian - Joe pretty much universally praises his '05s across the board…and I agree with him…they’re the best wines he’s made.

Thanks, Rick. Your comments sound almost the same as my experience 7 months ago. I’m inclined to wait another 2 or 3 years before opening another one.

Thanks for the note Rick. Sounds great.
Joe and Sleepy Hollow fruit does it for me.
1997 was still kicking last year. Love it.
Never tried the '05 of this and don’t own any.
Not sure how I let that happen. Need some!

??!!?!?!?!? Are you not a GCS member?

I highly recommend you take advantage of this week’s GCS offering to change that, Dennis, by adding a few bottles of the '05 to your order.

I’m no longer on GCS, needed a $ break.
This thread does not help my resistance. [wow.gif]

2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Sleepy Hollow Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (2/26/2016)
– decanted a few hours before tasting –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 1.5 hours –

Red-fruited. Relaxed. Plenty of ripe fruit, but with good supporting acidity. Alcohol not noticeable. Oak is a bit more prominent than I’d prefer, but it’s not a big detractor. Drinking quite nicely now, and I’m not sure it has the stuffing to be a super-long ager. Probably best to keep checking in every six to twelve months, for the time being.

Now that it has been 5 years, I hope you rejoined long ago. [drinkers.gif]

Thanks for the note. I had this wine a couple years ago and it’s still my benchmark for what I like in pinot - the particular balance it strikes between ripeness and acidity.

I opened this last night. I popped and poured with no decant. It had a bit of funk that blew off in the glass to reveal a beautiful nose of red cherry, earth, savory spice, and a light floral note. On the palate there is plenty of spicy ripe red fruit, a bit of earth, and a kiss of oak. This wine definitely has a good amount of acid to back up the prominent red fruit. It is drinking well right now, but has the structure to keep going for quite some time. [cheers.gif]

Nice notes … I got her to open up by macro splashing twice with epic big amplitude of air, she was ready … Should be able to cellar for min 10 more years …

Salute !!!

BTW, what happened to their website.? It is gone.

I emailed Joelle. She said she doesn’t have an ECD for the website. Not sure what that means.

Its has been down for a while. Maybe a couple of months.

Estimated Completion Date (?)

ohhhh guess revamp? That’d be cool. but dunno why not just keep the old one there.