1978 Louis Martini Cabernet Sauvignon

What a treat. I was worried about provenance with this one, but it showed incredibly well. Big nose of espresso, caramel, tobacco, cherries, and a bit of smoke. Palate was so unbelievably young. Shocking really. Coffee, raspberry, and tart cherry. Definite richness of flavor. Long finish. The palate was absurd. No bricking or browning. I bet this bottle had ten years left. Wow. *****

I bought a bottle of the 68 Louis Martini recently; it was one of the wines that hooked me into wine collecting back about 1985–I remember marveling then that we could drink something so old–the wine was 17 years old at the time.

alan

Interesting, just picked up a 68 and 78 Louis Martini Cabernet to be opened with friends in the future. Curious of your notes Alan if you open the 68 anytime soon? Was turned on to older Martini recently after trying a 69 Martini Mountain Cab (a gorgeous wine). Then at another dinner, had a 73, 74, and 75 Mountain Cabernet. Expected the 74 to show best, turned out to be the 73!!

Only big issue, do not like the white plastic capsole. No way to press down on the cork, and inspect for potential seepage. The corks on bottles opened to date were also pretty short. Taking both points into account, generally suggest not buying older Martini below base neck fill level. Any lower, you might be ok, but rolling the dice.

Love those old Louis Martini Cabs! I have had a few bottles of the 1970 Special Selction recently. They were bought by a friend’s father and stored in a cool, passive cellar from release. All of the bottles were magnificent. They could really make wine back then. I’m not sure what happened to their ability as I did not care for their wines from the late 80s or early 90s.

Just checked my 1966 and it is definitely into the neck - a nice fill. It spent its life since release in one location in a beautifully consistent passive cellar. I have had it for a coupleafew years. Capsule is white, but not plastic. [cheers.gif]

Those plastic capsules with the pull-tab were all the rage for a few years back in the late 70s and early 80s. They sucked.

78 Martini Cab - the very first wine I bought to cellar!

Philip Togni hit the ball out of the park with the 1973 Chappellet.

Amazing!!! A while ago I was able to purchase some wines from a beautifully maintained, very cold cellar. Among the treasures, that I have already opened were 1968 Louis Martini cabernet and a 1966 BV PR in…get this, half bottles!!! [cheers.gif] Both were stunning examples of aged, LOW alcohol, California cabernets! flirtysmile

I think I am inspired to open something else from that collection tonight!

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Anyone ever drink their Los Ninos label?

A few years ago, I had a '67 Martini to celebrate my wife’s birthday with a wine from her birth year. We were both surprised how vibrant and interesting the wine was and it even improved a few hours after opening. I wrote a note to the Martini winery, including my tasting note, and got personal notes back from Michael Martini thanking me.