TN: 2006 Lagier Meredith Syrah

I have wanted to try a Lagier Meredith Syrah for some time, but I never acted on my curiosity until the Berserker Day three-pack was offered back in January. Last night, I opened the 2006 and had about a glass-and-a-half before hitting the sack. Today, the wine is really interesting. It is still youthfully dark in the glass, with a predominately floral nose. In the mouth the wine offers a blast of raspberry, blackberry, white pepper, and iron. I enjoy the freshness and silky texture of this wine, and I like the fact that it has significant flavor without any heaviness. There is a good dose of acidity leading to a lingering finish. This is top-notch California Syrah made in a style that appeals to me.

Agreed, Carole Meredith and Steve Lagier make some of my favorite California Syrah. I like the wines consistently year after year.

Drank this over Friday/Saturday as well and really enjoyed it. I should have decanted it, as it seemed to favor air.

also tried it for the first time a month ago, off Berserkerday purchase. I am a believer. Any wine with great minerality is my type of wine.

Thanks for the note, Brad; I’ve got the 2006 but haven’t tried it yet. I’ve loved the 1999 and 2002, though, and can report that neither was anywhere near the gotta-drink-up stage.

Syrahs from producers such as Lagier Meredith, Cabot, Rudius are among the few California wines I’m buying these days.

Lagier Meredith is consistently one of my favorite California Syrahs. I think that nearly every vintage will improve with bottle age for 10 years or more, although with some air they drink just fine when they’re younger too. I probably won’t open an '06 for a few more years but good to hear it’s drinking well already.

It’s great to see so much interest in a tasting note about a California Syrah. To the posts by Frank and Ken, I have to say the 2006 seemed like it was far from its peak. I enjoyed the youth and freshness of the wine, and there was nothing hard or unpleasant about it (especially on Day 2). But I could definitely see it holding up for five or ten more years.