TNR: 1994 Jaboulet La Chapelle

Anyone pop one recently or in the past?

A buy at $60 if I’m generally a fan of the bottle?

Bought 2 bottles of this wine for ~40 euros each, drunk one in 2004 and one in 2006. It’s not bad, but definitely not up to par with other vintages of this famous wine. Even for 40 euros I thought that was overpriced (any CR by Jamet for example would blow this away for the same price or less). At $60 I would pass.

Apart from the 97 (if at a good price) I would not drink any La Chapelle post-1991. From 1992 till 2002 they produced only one decent vintage (the aforementioned 97). I heard the quality has picked up again post 2003 but the price as well, therefore I have no interest in the new releases.

G - thanks for the heads up!

My two TNs:

• 1994 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (8/16/2006)
    Drank @plch. Showing as I expected, i.e. pretty good but rather disappointing for this label. Air helped a lot, though, so I should probably have decanted it a bit longer. However it still doesn’t seem like there’s much upside in this wine.
  • 1994 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (5/1/2004)
    The nose is very intense and powerful - almost pure black currant. Reminded me of the black currant liqueur (a specialty from Burgundy) used to make Kir. When served, the nose was even more exuberant - although at the same time very basic, again mainly on black currant with little secondary aromas. The palate was very fruity, as expected, with some earthy notes and rather rough tannins, which made it kind of hard to drink. The finish was ok but not particularly impressive. Not much to say regarding structure. Rather monolithic and straightforward wine, but well done and enjoyable. All in all this is an average Hermitage, which means it is disappointing for a La Chapelle. It nonetheless gives a lot of pleasure, and is probably at its peak.

Posted from CellarTracker

I recall having this from a 3L within the last year or so, but can’t find any notes. I will say it also found it pretty straightforward and on the lightish side, not very big at all anymore. Wasn’t thrilled and there are probably better vintages out there.

Same as Guillaume’s links above, a few recent notes on CT: 1994 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle, France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage - CellarTracker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Definitely a pass at any price north of $30. Brought a very medicore mag of this at my first Squires OL in 2003 from Marty’s original stock, so no storage issues.

Wow - thanks all for the responses!

Brent - when you getting back up here, or do we need another EMP shindig? Bark twice if you’re in Milwaukee Baxter…(avatar reference).

Peter.

The 1995 is awesome, so if you can get that one for about $60, that would be a buy.

SP