QPR 2009 Red Burgundy thread

Since this board is All Burgundy All The Time these days [cheers.gif], I thought I’d solicit some recommendations from the local afficionados for QPR red burgundy from the 2009 vintage, which supposedly should provide a lot of high quality wines at the lower end of the price scale. I’m also interested to know if the 2009 QPRs are in full swing right now, mostly are yet to arrive, or are mostly picked through by now – I don’t have a sense of where we are in the run.

I’m interested in “daily drinkers” (say, <$30) and mid-level QPR Burgs (say, $30-$50), and I think all of us would be particularly interested in wines that are available out there in the market, not so much the killer deal you procured on some tiny production wine because of your inside connections and long buying history.

I’ve also pasted a list of <$50 red burgs from a pair of local stores, if anyone sees anything on there that is a good buy, that would be doubly great. Thanks so much for sharing the knowledge.

BICHOT 2009 BOURGOGNE ROUGE V. V. 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $9.99

BICHOT 2009 SECRET DE FAMILLE PINOT NOIR 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $14.99

LOUIS LATOUR 2009 MARSANNAY ROUGE 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $15.99

ROSSIGNOL 2009 BOURGOGNE PINOT NOIR 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $16.99

BOUVIER 2009 BOURGOGNE EN MONTRE CUL 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $18.99

CHEVILLON CHEZEAUX 2009 BOURGOGNE PINOT NOIR 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $19.99

F. ESMONIN 2009 BOURGOGNE HAUTES COTES DE NUITS 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $19.99

ROSSIGNOL 2009 BOURGOGNE L’HERITIERE 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $26.99

BOUVIER 2009 LES LONGEROIES MARSANNAY VIEILLES VIGNES 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $27.99

JOBLOT 2009 CLOS DU CELLIER AUX MOINES GIVRY 1ER CRU 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $35.99

JOBLOT 2009 CLOS DE LA SERVOISINE GIVRY 1ER CRU 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $39.99

LOUIS LATOUR 2009 CORTON GRAND CRU ROUGE 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $39.99

LOUIS LATOUR 2009 VOLNAY EN CHEVRET 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $39.99

BOUVIER 2009 EN LA RUE DE VERGY MOREY SAINT DENIS 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 $44.99

F. ESMONIN 2009 GEVREY ESTOURNELLES SAINT JACQUES 2009 PINOT NOIR
(FRANCE) 750 BH 92 $47.99

JEAN-MARC VINCENT 2009 LES GRAVIERS SANTENAY
Our Price: $42.99

++++++++++++++++++++++++

DUBOIS 2009 CHOREY LES BEAUNE CLOS MARGOT CUVEE UNIQUE
Our Price: $26.98

SARRIZIN 2009 BOURGOGNE CLOS DE LIRON
Our Price: $18.95

ALBERT BICHOT 2009 LE SECRET DE FAMILLE
Our Price: $14.99

The regular “Bourgogne” from Jadot should be a sharp value in 09…

Chris - I don’t have first-hand experience with the wines on your list, except one of the Joblots - I think the Cellier. Was kind of juicy and good, not very complex, fine or nuanced - perhaps a result of its youth. Not on your list, but I just bought some Voillot regional. I really love good bourgogne - often a better choice for our table than Burg from fancier appelations.

You could always buy a selection of the under-$20 wines, taste through them, and post notes for the rest of us :slight_smile:.

Judging from what I’ve read, there seems to be some dissatisfaction with the F. Esmonin wines, despite the high scores assigned by Meadows and Tanzer in 09. Bouvier, as a Kermit import, has some instant street cred.

Good luck.

Despite the poor rep of L. Latour (though improving somewhat in recent years perhaps?) I’ve found the Volnay en Chevret bottling to be good QPR, especially as it always seems to go on sale.

Moore Brothers in NYC sent out an email this week shilling the Daniel Rion village Vosne for ~$40. I’m not the world’s biggest Daniel Rion fan but I recall having a really nice bottle of that from 2002. The Moore Brothers email said it was sourced from a top slope vineyard above the 1ers, so it would make sense it would do well in a ripe year.

In the non-QPR division, I’m seeing the Anne Gros village Vosne on sale around NYC for $90-100. Holy crap.

Great thread. I’m looking to pick up a fair amount of 09 villages (+ some higher level stuff) and would love to hear what people have their eyes on.

Ian, I also picked up some Voillot. Envoyer offer?

As one looking to diversify my new world pinot collection, I would welcome, any 09 qpr suggestions.

Yes. I love your avatar. What villages have you bought?

Best QPR is probably had by back-filling with selected wines from 06-08 vintages :slight_smile:. If you have time to do the research.

Two I will mention, which I hope will be good 2009 QPRs - 2009 Jadot (Beaune) Greve ($35 at PC) and Clos de Ursules ($50 - $55). [cheers.gif]

Haven’t opened mine yet but the 2009 Lafouges seem like safe bets.

None yet. I hope they’re not priced ridiculously.

Sorry, Joe, misunderstood.

Lafouge is on my shopping list.

Can I infer from the responses that many or most of the 09 QPR-type Burgs are not out in the market yet? And if that is the case, over what period should most of them be rolling in?

2009 Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay premier crus are screaming values, especially the Passetemps.
Also in the real QPR territory Francois & Denis Clair Cotes de Beaune Villages is pretty serious juice for the bucks.

A broadly available one that should be good is the Drouhin Cote du Nuits Villages. Esp in riper vintages, I like these. Around $20 usually.

Has anyone tried the Bouchard Pere et Fils Bourgogne Rouge? I just saw it land at the local Binnys and thought about picking up a few for $15.99. Actually I suppose for that price I could just take a chance on one. But, I thought I would check here first anyway.

Few of the Burgophiles seem to be welcoming us into their club (though thanks to those who did extend a bit of a helping hand), so if any of us can do a little experimenting and share it with the rest, I guess that may be our way forward.

To that end, I picked up a bottle of the 2009 Louis Latour Marsannay for $15.99, vaguely recalling I had a bottle or two of the 05 and it was a good wine. This turned out to be quite a nice find.

Within a few minutes of popping the bottle and pouring the first glass, this was a pleasant everyday middleweight pinot noir, with bright red cherry fruit and a bit of mineral and tingling spice, and with a good acidity on the finish that nicely balanced the wine without being drying or puckery. It remained in a good place over 4 hours of consuming the bottle, and I would guess that this would hold up well over at least the next 4 years, and maybe a good bit longer. The wine should prove quite versatile with foods across a wide range, from salads and vegetables on through lighter pasta, fish and meat dishes.

I’d probably put this in the 88-89 point range, and I think it would compare well against many entry-level QPR pinots from California, Oregon and New Zealand that are in the $20-30 range. If someone were looking for an inexpensive and easy-to-obtain “house pinot” to buy by the case, this would probably be quite a good choice. It would also be a great choice for restaurants to sell, though restaurants rarely seem to want to offer their customers the good early-drinking QPR wines from Bordeaux or Burgundy, choosing instead to offer a muddle of off vintages, too-young-to-drink wines, and mature wines that are absurdly overpriced. But that’s a topic for a different thread.

Chris,
I’ve only tasted a few '09s so far. One of those was the Latour Volnay. Not bad and it actually had a little more acidity than I anticipated given the vintage reports. But not sure I would call it a QPR at $40. There aren’t many '09 red Burgs in the states yet, so you’ll probably get more responses in the fall. Drouhin’s Chorey les Beaune can be a nice little QPR in good vintages, would bet the '09 version will be worth the price (often <$20).
Cheers,
Steve

Steve, I also picked up two bottles of the Louis Latour Corton 2009 for $40@, figuring that was a great price for an 09 grand cru to sock away in the cellar. Any thought on that wine, and whether I could discern much about it by trying one now?

Chris,
I didn’t taste it, but did taste the Corton “Grancey”, their flagship red, which was quite good, albeit young. I believe I am in the minority amongst the Burg geeks on the board, but I think there is some value in drinking red Burgs, even Grand Cru, when young. Especially if you have multiple bottles and are relatively new to Burgs, as 1) they can be quite tasty, and 2) it helps to learn about the evolution when you taste the same wine when it’s mature. Given the nature of the vintage (somewhat lower acid, ripe fruit), and the tendency for many red Burgs to be relatively open for a short period after bottling, there is a pretty good chance this could be drinking well now. Definitely post a note if you open one now.