Is Gruner Veltliner The Most Boring Variety In The World?

Is Gruner Veltliner The Most Boring Variety In The World?

• Yes
  • No, there is something else more boring but I can’t think of it right now.

0 voters

To be fair I have had a few bottles over the years that have been ok but over the past couple of weeks I’ve tasted a couple of samples from 2009 and the wines have been correct but totally boring. Last night I was a little tired after a busy day but I damn near fell asleep as some Gruner hit my palate with its simple plump orchard fruits. It was a weird shapeless wine in the mouth with a thick texture and a little of the varieties pepperiness a little out of whack from the wine’s other elements. Perhaps I’m a little jaded as I’ve wasted a few opportunities to drink a Chablis or something from the Cote de Beaune but I really do find Gruner boring.

I have had some ok Gruner as well but I have been underwhelmed and bored by some Pinot Grigios. Have you had any exciting Pinot Grigio? I have never paid good money for one so possibly I am trying the cheap and simple examples.

I have never had a bottle, so I cannot comment in an abjective manner.

I’ve not had many truly exciting bottles (though I’ll open a nice Nigl tonight in your honor!) but one thing that Gruner does really well is to match some very hard to match foods. Have asparagus? Artichoke? Use gruner to match those.

Hmm… now, what to eat with the GV…

Indeed. No, I haven’t. What’s more, this is a grape that’s totally tedious in either grigio or gris forms (at least as a dry wine).
And unlike GV, it seems to sell like hot cakes, at least over here.
With a swamp of good quality chardonnay, riesling and semillon, people still buy over-priced SB & PG.
Bizarre.
GG

Actually Cabernet Sauvignon is. Try a Prager Grüner and you certainly won’t be bored.

Doesn’t matter, just vote anyway Tex. I vote in every poll, even if I have not a clue about the subject matter.

Fair enough. I voted no, as White Zinfandel is pretty freakin’ boring.

This.

Gruner has such a unique culinary purpose I couldn’t ever call it boring; I’d go with “talented,” if I’m going to do the whole personification thing.

gruner is a useful grape when young. it’s a beautiful grape if the wine is from a good producer and at least 10-15 years old. It really requires age to showcase its talents.

i’m sure I was pretty boring at age 1 as well.

I unabashedly love Gruner. I adore the ultra-craggy minerality you can get, which coupled with the grapefruit and white pepper notes makes it super unique and delicious. It also ages brilliantly.

Agreed - aged Gruner can be something really special.

lol Mark R!

Try some aged Knoll. That should do it.

Wow, I love Gruner from simple, varietally correct ones to more aged and complex ones. Boring is the very last word that comes to mind. Racy, spicy, peppery, savory.

I love Gruner Veltliner from many producers. Wines like Brundlmayer’s Alte Reben, Schloss Gobelsburg’s Lamm and many great examples from the Wachau (e.g. Pichler, Hirtzberger) prove the greatness of GruVe. Plus it has the coolest nickname.

There’s a lot more boring wine from Pinot Gris/Grigio, Sauvingon Blanc and Chardonnay than there is from Gruner Veltliner.

Jeremy, Jeremy… I love Gru Ve! There is such diversity. I have Salomon-Undhof, Hirtzberger, Pichler, Knoll and Gobelsburg. They are all fun and different. Take the plunge! You won’t regret it!

Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio are tied for most boring.

I have had examples from the likes of Salomon-Undhof, Hirtzberger, Pichler, Prager, Nigl and Bernhard Ott and I just don’t reckon I get it. I’d much prefer Chardonnay, Riesling, Chenin, heck I’ll even take a well made Sancerre over Gruner.

Different strokes…

FX pichler’s GV is an amazing wine. Granted I am not too high on most GV, but those wines are like Didier’s Sauv Blanc in my book.