TN: 2007 Alain Graillot St Joseph

I have been a big fan of these wines for some time. This was decanted about 2.5hrs before tasting.

Color: Opaque purple with garnet hues.

Intense nose of crushed blueberries, sage and black pepper. Jammy blackberry compote on the palate but balanced by racy acidity and a bit of tannins. Quite youthful but still revealing great depth and deft balance. “92pts.” Appealing now, but should really be drunk in 5-7 years.

It’s estate bottled too along with the CH?

AFAIK…

The only thing I can’t concretely say is that he owns the vineyard. The French is, “Vinife, eleve, et mis en bouteille par Alain Graillot” which is identical to what is on the Crozes labels.

I have historically always gotten three of his wines. The St. Joseph AOC, the Crozes AOC, and the Crozes “La Guiraude.” I think there is also a white Crozes and maybe a white St Joseph? and one other red.

Thanks. Very helpful. The '07 Crozes is lovely. Guirade has gotten pricey though but is awesome wine. Hermitage in everything but name.

I’m with Lyle on the '07 Crozes-H. I had it at DB Bistro three weeks ago. A very impressive bottle. - great blend of fruit and pepper on the nose and palate. As Brent noted with the St. Joseph, good acidity and fine tannins balance out the package nicely.

Steve,

The Crozes is quite similar, but shows a little more acid in the backbone and a little less fruit on the palate. The St. Joseph should only be about $5-8 more than the Crozes.