A Step Back Into The Future: The Future of Wine Criticism Is Here by Mike Steinberger

I was chatting with Eric LeVine today and he mentioned re-reading an article from The World of Fine Wine* published around a year ago on the future of wine criticism and being struck how things have played out so quickly more or less as Steinbergefrportrayed. After Eric mentioned it, I looked up the article and re-read it.

Ladies and gentlemen, the future is here. The article is about the future of wine reviewing, and Mike talks about the role of the 'net, Dr. Vino, and CT among others. Who knew the events over the ensuing year or so would play out as the article more or less foretells. Look at where we are now from the perspective of an article written a year or more ago.

Interesting reading: http://www.cellartracker.com//SteinbergerWineWriting.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*In full disclosure, I occasionally write for The World of Fine Wine.

It blows my mind. Mike has a freaking crystal ball. Terrific guy if you ever get a chance to talk with him.

Wilfred,

Thank you for allowing us to read this article. Great stuff.

I tasted and chatted with Mike while I tasted through many Dressner wines at an industry tasting. Sharp guy.

that Steinberger guy was the fellow following us around at Polaner right, Lyle

i was there in my official capacity of manager of rockssandfruit you know

he had good taste. he went from knebel to dressner

i like his writing

smart cookie

wow. gotta be quick around here

C’mon Doc. Get with the program.

He has a similar palate to mine. We discussed Dressner wines. Dressner came over and then Joe told some stories involving Marcel Guigal and some ribaldrous behavior. It was great fun. [cheers.gif]

“There are at least 3 instances of defamation in this thread alone. Stop being so coy.” *

Thanks for posting Wilfred, good read.

\

• I’m channelling someone else here, tee hee.