Welcome Noel to SF Brunch

What a pleasure it was to meet Noel and some of our fellow Berserkers. We met Sunday morning at the Foreign Cinema for a variety of white wines, champagne and a few older California reds. Joining (Noel) LMD Ermitano were myself, Joel Galang, his wife Mia, Ed Kurtzmann, his wife Michelle, and original instigators Ashish Agrawal, Glenn Levine and his partner Melinda. Foreign Cinema (FC) is well known for its brunch and it lived up to it’s excellent reputation. We had an assortment of oysters, plus wonderful calamari appetizers and their special fresh fruit “pop tarts” along with delicious brunch entrees. I have divided up the wines into three flights as we opened whites, champagnes and then reds. However, all flights were started in quick succession and once opened, it was possible to enjoy any of the wines at any point. And we did! I brought a pad to write down my notes, but quickly realized our (lack of) format made too difficult to concentrate, and succumbed to simply enjoying the company, food and the wine. I hope some others have better notes or recollections.

Flight 1: The Whites
We opened these first. As noted below the Graillot was off the list. I’d drink it again, but not in the same company of wines. It was sadly out of place here. And the Rieussec? It was not out of place at all, and was a valuable lesson learned about the versatility of a Sauternes with excellent acidity. Thanks Glenn!

Flight 2: Champagne
For my palate it was a mistake to get going on the bubbly after opening the whites. They were both outstanding but I couldn’t focus on them while 3 whites with big personalities were on the table at the same time. Please someone add cogent notes here.

Flight 3: Older California Reds
Three reds from another era. They all had a great story to tell. Even though I brought the BV I was totally surprised by it’s showing today.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks again Glenn for suggesting an offline, and to Ashish and Ed for pulling off both brunch and dinner! It was a real pleasure to meet everybody, Berserkers and partners, and it was wonderful that everybody was so generous in their wine contributions. We really need to do this more often, and I would love to help organize a late summer/early fall Choucroute/Alsatian fest. Michelle, start perfecting those sausages!

wow missed out sounds fab.

This was an incredibly pleasant afternoon for Mel & I and it was a joy to meet all. Foreign Cinema is a “pearl” in The Mission and we’ll definitely be back, well done Ed.

Paul’s 1960 BV Georges De Latour was the highlight and surprise of the day for me: vibrant nose and color with complete midpalate and a elegant finish displaying totally resolved tannins. Noting this wine wasn’t a “blockbuster” says more about us and the California wine industry in the 21st century than it does anything about this bottle! I liked this wine quite a bit more than a very good 1966 Cos d’Estournel we had Friday evening.

You did great with notes Paul during a 3 hour brunch that had nothing to do with formal, structured tasting! This was a very good time and we wish Noel godspeed during his journey back home today.

Paul,

It was great to meet you, my only regret is that we did not get to chat more due to the seating arrangement. Thanks fro bringing the BV, it was a very nice and interesting wine. Count me in for the Alsatian offline [basic-smile.gif]

Glenn, nice to see you and Mel as usual. Mia says thanks for the Rieussec, she loved it (and so did I). Will definitely try and visit you sooner than later.

Sad to have missed out on this. Few out of towners would get me out of the Valley, but I would have gladly made the ride for this.

Wish I’d known about this. Sounds like it was fun, and lots of good wines.

Check the Offline Planner often, Ken!

I find it very hard to believe that Noel actually attended this tasting - where is the delightful camera work?? [cheers.gif]

Sounds like a great time. This is my favorite thing about wine and wine boards, coming together with relative strangers and sharing and enjoying commonality. I will have to check out Foreign Cinema while in San Fran. [cheers.gif]

I’m calling for a do-over. Not fair that they didn’t Noel’s name in the OP.

I also haven’t been following the offline forum closely. It would have been great to see Noel again, but sounds like he did well in any case. A wine brunch and a wine dinner in a single day, that takes stamina!

-Al

If there’s anyone with that kind of stamina, it’s Noel! [cheers.gif]

Nice lineup! Older Chalone Pinot Noir, BV Georges de Latour and Freemark Abbey Petite Sirah have such great and consistent track records, always enjoy seeing them on the table. Would have been a fun offline to attend. Never been to Foreign Cinema, but hear nothing but positive things about the place.

Thanks to everyone for coming! I really enjoyed meeting all of you.

For those who are interested, you can find a complete wine list from that day below (split up by brunch/dinner and my favorites have a star next to them).

Dinner

2006 Holdredge Pinot Gris Grace’s Cuvée Pinot Gris
2004 Robert Young Estate Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Bob’s Burn Pile Cabernet Sauvignon
2006 Peachy Canyon Cabernet Sauvignon de Vine Cabernet Sauvignon
2005 Flora Springs Cabernet Sauvignon St. Helena Reserve Rennie Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
2007 Brogan Cellars Pinot Noir Morning Dew Ranch Pinot Noir
2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard Pinot Noir
*1994 Château Léoville Barton Red Bordeaux Blend
*1995 Colgin Cabernet Sauvignon Herb Lamb Cabernet Sauvignon
*1988 Henri Bonneau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Marie Beurrier Red Rhone Blend
2000 Domaine de la Charbonnière Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Vieilles Vignes Red Rhone Blend
1990 Château Gruaud Larose Red Bordeaux Blend
Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune Riesling
NV Cedric Bouchard / Roses de Jeanne Champagne Inflorescence Blanc de Noirs Pinot Noir

Brunch

*1960 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
1974 Freemark Abbey Petite Sirah Petite Sirah
1977 Chalone Vineyard Pinot Noir Estate Grown Pinot Noir
*1983 Château Rieussec Sémillon-Sauvignon Blanc Blend
*1990 Drappier Champagne Grande Sendrée Champagne Blend
1999 De Meric Champagne Catherine de Médicis Champagne Blend
1976 Dehlinger Chardonnay Estate Chardonnay
2009 Alain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage Blanc White Rhone Blend
2002 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses Chardonnay

Here are some pics from brunch:

Thanks, Paul, for the photos! Was badly jetlagged yesterday and will try catching up on work today. I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to get my notes up over the weekend though. Again, it was a great pleasure meeting and sharing a meal with you all. Many, many thanks.

Best,

N

Hi Noel, when are you coming to the East Coast? Love to meet you in person.

Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune Riesling

alas, not: 1990 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile