TN: Wow

2005 Inman Family, Pinot Noir Olivet Grange Vineyard:
This OGV is not the typical Russian River pinot I am used to – it is delicate, fresh and elegantly textured. The crunchy red fruit and cinnamon/brown spice element is still there but I can tell this has had some whole cluster fermentation and has been handled very gently.
The wine is floral and spicy on the nose; spicy cherry-fruited and so feminine and silky in the mouth with a charming and complex herbal tone that is well integrated, exceptional balance; and it finishes with a crisp, clean note. With a little air in the decanter, it becomes even more of a piece and presents a smooth yet bright overall impression. No evidence of wood anywhere. 13.2% alcohol, screwcap and found in a sale rack for $25. ‘Could cellar short term but is perfect now after a splash decant.
I will go back today and buy what is left; I can’t think of a west coast pinot noir I have enjoyed more.

Best, Jim

Sounds wonderful Jim. I had this once and really enjoyed it.
Nice touch.
I’d clean them out at $25.

Jim, I’m a sucker for any tn that has only the singular word…wow.
Nice note.

Jim,

I’m not sure if you have had the pleasure of meeting Kathleen Inman, but not only does your note perfectly describe the wine, it equally portrays Kathleen and her approach to life and winemaking. Her Pinot Gris is a favourite of ours as well.

Cheers,

Ken

Kathleen Inman has been making some excellent Pinots for a number of years and that floral character is usually very apparent, as is the good intergration of oak. Not sure what clones are planted at Olivet Grange, but I sometimes get that cinnamon note with Pommard clone. Don’t know how much new oak (or whole cluster) she uses on this wine. I need to get up there and visit with Kathleen.

$25 is a screaming deal on this wine, I think it usually goes for about twice that. Presumably your retailer is clearing out the '05s to make room for the current vintage.

Jim was this a wine warehouse purchase?

Suzanne, great to see ou here.

thanks Mike [thank_you.gif]

Ken,

You hit the nail on the head. Kathleen is a wonderful winemaker and a terrific person.

Brian

Yep.
Best, Jim

The InmanFamilyWines website has this to say about the clonal makeup for OGV (this for the 2006 vintage)…

The Olivet Grange fruit was picked by hand over two days- September 19 and 27 - and fermented as field blends of our clones 114, 115, 667, and 777.

and on the production side (again for 2006)…

At the end of primary fermentation, the wines were pressed off and moved to French oak: new (35%), one-year (30%) and older barrels (35%) from a variety of coppers: Remond, Sirugue, Billon and Francois Freres. All but the oldest barrels were allowed to complete MLF with indigenous bacteria. MLF completed in all barrels by late November. The wines rested in barrel for 11 months and received weekly batonage for the first six months and every other week until one month prior to bottling.

– ken

This is probably the leanest (in a good way) and most elegant California pinot I’ve ever had, and the one that proved to me that the fat, sweet, and fruity style is made that way out of choice, not necessity. At $25 I’d load up, my cost from the winery with shipping was $55 a bottle.

And her Rose of Pinot Noir just KILLS it, too!

Terrific; thanks for the heads up, guys! I’m not familiar with this producer but will now seek this one out. Has anybody seen it out in the Chicago area?

thanks, I’ll look for it there tomorrow. Compelling note.

They don’t ship to NY?

Nope, apparently not. Forgot about the FL shipping thing.

Ken,

No whole cluster (although you would swear there is) and all Dijon with the majority being 667 and 777.

Regards,
Steve

WvG,

Kathleen has poured each year at Pinot Days Chicago…

Steven,
I communicated with Kathleen this afternoon and learned the same thing. I am really surprised as this wine carries that soft herbaceousness that I associate with whole cluster - which I assume means that the OGV has a unique character. And now I am even more delighted with this wine.
Best, Jim

Jim,

I think so about OGV as well. I was tasting along with friends yesterday with Kathleen and going on about how the amount and character of the whole cluster lifted the wine to near-perfection. After I blathered on for a minute or so, Katleen chimed there was no whole cluster… [shock.gif]

Regards,
Steve