Domestic Rose?

I recently had a Rose of pinot noir from Colene Clemens that I thought was very good, and at $18 represented an excellent qpr. Which got me thinking about US Rose wines…truth be told I can’t think of many (any?) others that I like very much. Any suggestions for alternatives? Other than Robert Sinskey and Copain, I have not tried many. I am not counting Wind Gap pinot gris, which I also dig.

As to ex-US rose styles that resonate, I am a big Tavel fan (more Trinquevedel than dom de la Mordoree), as well as Chateau Leoube styled provencal wines and Boulay Chavignol/Sancerre pink wines. Thoughts? Thanx!

My favorite US rose is certainly Edmunds St John “Bone Jolly” Gamay.

The Inman Family Rose is excellent.

Thanks Dale. I am a ESJ fan and a fan of the Bone Jolly, but have not had the rose.

Syncline in Washington makes a good rose for like $18.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

That fits.

Consider trying:

• Edmunds St. John Bone Jolly (Gamay)
  • Etude (Pinot Noir)
  • Curran (Grenache)
  • Inman Family (Pinot Noir)
  • Zaca Mesa Z Gris (Grenache)
  • A Donkey and a Goat Cuvée Isabel (Grenache Gris)
  • Ampelos (Syrah)
  • Bedrock Ode to Lulu (Mourvedre)
  • Tablas Creek (mostly Mourvedre)
  • Heitz Cellars (Grignolino)

Ojai Vineyards makes a delicious rose that is made primarily from Syrah. It’s usually around $18. Very crisp and refreshing.

Coleman Nicole makes a great Rose of Pinot Noir.

You are funny Robert. Thanks for the suggestions. Of those you listed, I am not a fan of the Etude, Heitz or the Curran. I thought the Bedrock was OK. I also didn’t list the Shane, which I also thought was OK and better than most. I am hoping for suggestions that are in keeping with the wines I mentioned that I did like. Of those you list, do any fit that profile?

Like other folks, the EdStJohn and the Ojai are very nice.
More along the lines of a ProvenceRose and less of the Calif tutti-fruiti character.
Tom

Loren,

You gave Tavel as a reference point. The principal grapes grown in Tavel are Grenache and Cinsault, followed by Syrah and Mourvedre. So I listed all the the Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre rosés that came to mind (I don’t know of a domestic Cinsault rosé).

You gave Sancerre as another reference point. Sancerre rosé is Pinot Noir, so I listed the Pinot Noir rosés that came to mind.

You gave “Chateau Leoube styled provencal wines” as another reference point. I don’t know that wine, but the Tablas Creek, Zaca Mesa, and Bedrock strike me as Provencal in character.

And I threw in the ESJ and Heitz çause I think they’re very tasty wines.

Happy hunting.

Bob

Edith by Cayuse is truly excellent but pricey. Scholium Project’s Rhododactylus is Cinsault and really quite good, but very pale. Matt Hatcher makes a lovely Cinsault, and a much deeper pink, here in Calaveras Co.

Forgot one. The Cep Pinot Noir rosé (from Peay Vineyards), if you can get your hands on it, should be right up your Sancerre-alley.

Every year we enjoy the Rose of pinot noir from DDO and Archery Summit wineries in the Willamette Valley. Very different style pinots, but both are very good. Both are under $18.

My favorite is J.K. Carriere Glass.

My favorite rosé this year is between Tablas Creek and Copain, with the '09 Bedrock Lulu a 3rd (I’m still not into my stash of '10 Lulus which it appears is in a very different style than '09).

A local here in Livermore called Longevity makes a rosé of Syrah that’s decent; dry and a little more full-bodied.

I think Curran and Bedrock set the bar here but a few others I like (and living in AZ you BETTER find some you do to get through the summer!) are Verdad, Kunin, Sean Minor, Elyse, and Groundworks.

Lagier Meredith (made from syrah)

And another vote for Ojai.

2010 Bedrock Ode to Lulu is my favorite domestic Rose. I thought the 2009 to be rather pedestrian.
I just tried the 2010 Tercero Mourvedre Rose which is also excellent.

Another vote for Edmunds St. John here. But you probably expected that.