What is the most COMPLEX wine you have ever tasted?

As complexity is one of the traits I value in wine, I’m wondering what the most complex wine you have ever tasted is?

As a starter, the most complex wine I’ve had in recent memory is '89 Beaucastel. So many things going on in that bottle.

2007 Domaine Pierre Usseglio Cuvee de mon Aieul
2003 Kosta Browne Kanzler
2007 Kanzler Sonoma Coast reserve.

[cheers.gif]
pileon pileon

Good question. I think the top sauternes are wines with absolutely stunning complexity. My top 2:
2003 Chateau d’Yquem
2001 Chateau de Fargues

Likely an older TBA Riesling.

1795 terrantez madiera

1948 DRC Grands Echezeaux

1937 Chateau D’Yquem
1949 Chateau Margaux

Probably '71 La Tache.

Pedro Domecq Sibarita, especially from its aromaticity

Can Cali guys play? [wink.gif]

2002 Bryant Family
This is one of the most incredible cabernets that I have ever had. It had everything a Napa Cabernet drinker could, should ever want. Depth, elegance, structure, and reverence, all wrapped around some sweet black fruits of macerated currants and black cherries–Bing cherries—maybe maraschino cherries. Stellar and precise, this had lead pencil shavings, soy, worn leather, crème de cassis, kirsch, river stones, and more. Almost mystifying depth and purity that one can make cabernet dreams of. Made me want to find my pillow tout suite. 100 pts

1955 Leroy La Romanee last year.

1959 Leroy Musigny…

TTT

1982 Pichon Lalande

03 Dominus Estate

Well, Eric…I’ve been trying to decide for the last 40 yrs who’s the most beautiful woman I ever done see’d. When I decide
that, I’ll get back to you. [snort.gif]
Generally, when I find complexity in a wine, it is due to having some age on it. Some some of the very old German wines,
some old Alsatian GWT/Riesling, some old Sauterns, some old Angelicas, some old Madeiras, some old Sherries,
some old PX’s…they all qualify. But I don’t think I can identify one as the most complex I’ve had.
Tom

71 Romanee Conti
47 Lafleur

Tom, I understand the dilemma. I could list several examples myself and I’ve only been at this wine thing seriously for about 8 years. Thanks for offering your thoughts/experiences. One I want to ask about that is new to me - what is Angelica?

Of course, Mike. I find significant complexity in some of the Shafer Hillside Selects myself. Also, some of Mafred Krankl’s wines.

1989 Haut Brion
1949 Bouchard Beaune les Marconnets