2005 Rene Leclerc Gevrey Chambertin

Light garnet color. Medium plus viscosity. Closed at first with maybe a bit of reduction that blew away quickly. Now after 2 hours it has a really nice pinot nose of red and black raspberries, some smoke and underbrush. On the palate, a mouthful of tart cherries and raspberries, nice acidity, smooth tannins that show up on a nice, long finish. Really nice wine with some upside as the tannins resolve. I remember tasting the 2006 or 2007 last year and not being impressed, so didn’t buy any of that vintage, but glad I have several bottles of this. Don’t remember exactly what I paid for this, but think it was around $30 to $35. I have no other experience with this producer and haven’t seen anything but the GC village wine in Nashville, but to me, this is a very nice qpr Burgundy from a strong vintage.
From what I’ve read on this board and elsewhere I guess I’ll backfill 2006 and 2008 if prices drop on those past vintages and not purchase much high end 2009, but stay on the lookout for some nice village level 2009’s if I get the opportunity to taste them.

[cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note. I own some bottles of 2005 Domaine Rene Leclerc Griottes-Chambertin. I have never had a Leclerc wine yet, so I am curious of what exactly the “house” style is.

I enjoyed a good bottle of this as well. I also bought some '06 1er Gevreys from Rene Leclerc. Can’t remember the vineyard right now. Beautiful wines.

I drank two bottles of the René Leclerc 2000 Griottes in the last month. The first was mildly corked, but aside from that it was a cloudy and rather dirty tasting wine – I recall reading that he uses little if any new oak. The second bottle was distinctly better, although lacking the depth one associates with a grand cru. The vintage may be partly to blame, but I think I would pass if I came across his wines again.

No need to lie…we all know that any decent Village Burgundy costs $80+ newhere
Thanks for the note! Sounds great.