Cabernet Day 2011

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9901
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:23 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Cabernet Day 2011

#1 Post by Randy Bowman » September 1st, 2011, 7:55 pm

Whatcha havin for the second annual Cabernet Day??
IMG_20110901_172215.jpg
2006 Herb Lamb Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon: Blackberry and spice on the nose. Deep garnet with heavy legs. Silky mouthfeel. Beautifully constructed old world style cab with deep dark fruits, spices including hints of cinnamon, excellent acidity and matching tannins that are integrating more and more as the wine breathes. Finish is at least 60 seconds and getting longer. Should have decanted, but couldn't wait. Screams for a Filet Mignon. Excellent. edit: (After another 30 minutes open, the fruit and spice are really showing, where the hell is my steak?)

2006 Ghost Horse Shadow: Lots of spice on the nose. Opaque with deep garnet edges and legs that just stay attached to the glass. New world style wine with heavy viscosity. Sweet black currant with kitchen spice, ample acidity and integrated tannins. Absolutely mouth coating with dark fruits prevalent for 45 seconds on the finish which dries to spicy blackberry for another 15 seconds. This one will take on BBQ and anything with heavy sauces. Excellent.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

User avatar
Benjamin Sullivan DNA
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2226
Joined: July 11th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#2 Post by Benjamin Sullivan DNA » September 1st, 2011, 8:07 pm

Shit!!! I didn't know about Cabernet Day!! Maybe I will finally try an 05 Ovid, but it will have to wait until the weekend.
One Reality: Truth.

User avatar
Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9901
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:23 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#3 Post by Randy Bowman » September 1st, 2011, 8:48 pm

Guess everybody forgot and drank a Burgundy. [cheers.gif]
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19501
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#4 Post by Brian Tuite » September 1st, 2011, 8:54 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:Guess everybody forgot and drank a Burgundy. [cheers.gif]
Crozes Hermitage newhere
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9901
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:23 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#5 Post by Randy Bowman » September 1st, 2011, 9:06 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
Randy Bowman wrote:Guess everybody forgot and drank a Burgundy. [cheers.gif]
Crozes Hermitage newhere
Leave it to you to miss the important days and dates. [smileyvault-ban.gif]
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Michael Kanbergs
Posts: 30
Joined: July 17th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#6 Post by Michael Kanbergs » September 1st, 2011, 10:46 pm

I drank a Carneros Syrah that thought it was Napa Cab.

User avatar
Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5580
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 8:29 am
Location: Philly Suburbs

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#7 Post by Bud Carey » September 1st, 2011, 10:51 pm

I had an 05 Match Baconbrook Cab. Yum!!!
Budman

User avatar
loren.grossman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1131
Joined: November 21st, 2009, 8:17 am

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#8 Post by loren.grossman » September 2nd, 2011, 7:36 am

Randy Bowman wrote:Whatcha havin for the second annual Cabernet Day??
IMG_20110901_172215.jpg
2006 Herb Lamb Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon: Blackberry and spice on the nose. Deep garnet with heavy legs. Silky mouthfeel. Beautifully constructed old world style cab with deep dark fruits, spices including hints of cinnamon, excellent acidity and matching tannins that are integrating more and more as the wine breathes. Finish is at least 60 seconds and getting longer. Should have decanted, but couldn't wait. Screams for a Filet Mignon. Excellent. edit: (After another 30 minutes open, the fruit and spice are really showing, where the hell is my steak?)

2006 Ghost Horse Shadow: Lots of spice on the nose. Opaque with deep garnet edges and legs that just stay attached to the glass. New world style wine with heavy viscosity. Sweet black currant with kitchen spice, ample acidity and integrated tannins. Absolutely mouth coating with dark fruits prevalent for 45 seconds on the finish which dries to spicy blackberry for another 15 seconds. This one will take on BBQ and anything with heavy sauces. Excellent.
Nice Corks!

User avatar
Benjamin Sullivan DNA
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2226
Joined: July 11th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#9 Post by Benjamin Sullivan DNA » September 2nd, 2011, 4:40 pm

Ummm I forgot I said I would open a 05 Ovid. Oh well for another time. My belated Cab Day addition is the 2008 Château Boswell Cabernet Sauvignon Jacquelynn Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard. My first Boswell wine! Initial taste on pop and pour - Amazing nose and delicious fruits!! I am going to have another Stella before trying anymore wine. I will post a note either tonight or tomorrow. PS the carboy in the background is my freshly fermenting apple cider. It took me the better part of four hours to juice my apples in order to come up with 11.5 litres!! I will post a thread on this in the spirits forum.

Image
One Reality: Truth.

User avatar
Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9901
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:23 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#10 Post by Randy Bowman » September 2nd, 2011, 5:51 pm

Looking forward to the notes. A friend of ours just went to work for Chateau Boswell.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

User avatar
PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3535
Joined: May 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#11 Post by PeterH » September 2nd, 2011, 5:57 pm

Well, I screwed up.

I opened a 2005 Nicolas Cole Camille that is only 26% Cab, the rest Merlot, Cab Franc, and a dab of Petite Verdot. It was a lush, fruit packed, medium oaked wine with just enough lingering structure to match it with grilled NY strip.

Guess where I got it.

P Hickner
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

User avatar
Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9901
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:23 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#12 Post by Randy Bowman » September 2nd, 2011, 7:42 pm

I can't believe the members of this board could miss such an important date. C'mon, we spend the rest of the year inventing reasons, off-lines, whatcha drinkin threads, threads dedicated to specific wines, etc., just so we can enjoy wine and camaraderie. They finally give us a dedicated day for Cabernet and everybody drank beer?

FAIL
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

User avatar
Benjamin Sullivan DNA
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2226
Joined: July 11th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#13 Post by Benjamin Sullivan DNA » September 2nd, 2011, 7:48 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:I can't believe the members of this board could miss such an important date. C'mon, we spend the rest of the year inventing reasons, off-lines, whatcha drinkin threads, threads dedicated to specific wines, etc., just so we can enjoy wine and camaraderie. They finally give us a dedicated day for Cabernet and everybody drank beer?

FAIL
Guilty as charged. Book me in with those hot chicks!
One Reality: Truth.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4170
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#14 Post by Michae1 P0wers » September 3rd, 2011, 5:22 am

IMO this is terrible timing. In this part of the country (and in much of the country really) September tends to come in with the weather still pretty hot. This year that was certainly the case. It was 101 here on Thursday and the last thing I felt like drinking was a cabernet. Push this back one month and you get more traction in my book. Two months, maybe even better.

User avatar
Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5580
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 8:29 am
Location: Philly Suburbs

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#15 Post by Bud Carey » September 3rd, 2011, 6:15 am

Maybe it should have been Viognier day!!!
Budman

User avatar
Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13621
Joined: February 14th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Location: Vacationland (AKA Maine, USA)

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#16 Post by Peter Kleban » September 3rd, 2011, 6:30 am

Never heard of Cab day, but we opened a 2006 Mount George (bought from Carrie and Randy, thanks!) and it is wonderful. I'll post a full TN later, but it's smooth, elegant, balanced, tannins completely integrated. Great wine.

User avatar
C. Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6216
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:57 pm
Location: Napa

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#17 Post by C. Bowman » September 3rd, 2011, 9:51 am

Michael Powers wrote:IMO this is terrible timing. In this part of the country (and in much of the country really) September tends to come in with the weather still pretty hot. This year that was certainly the case. It was 101 here on Thursday and the last thing I felt like drinking was a cabernet. Push this back one month and you get more traction in my book. Two months, maybe even better.
Michael,
According to Bakas Media there were 4.5 million people worldwide that participated, most on twitter or facebook. There were actual events all over, small, large & in between. I believe there were 17k tweets on Cab Day alone about it.
It may not have been the ideal timing for it but there were sure plenty of people & wineries that participated.
I think the next worldwide virtual event is riesling
Carrie
ITB in Napa Valley where Wine is made & Cigars are smoked

Twitter @nvwineandcigar

User avatar
Alan C h a n
Posts: 1515
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 11:39 am
Location: New York, NY

Cabernet Day 2011

#18 Post by Alan C h a n » September 3rd, 2011, 10:01 am

For me the combo of it feeling so marketing-driven and it being for the 'king of grapes' made me not want to participate. I tweeted 'why does cab need a day, shouldn't it be some underloved grape like gewürztraminer?' No one responded so I guess they were not amused, or just too caught up in the marketing feeding frenzy.
The Amateur Wino wine blog

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4170
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#19 Post by Michae1 P0wers » September 3rd, 2011, 11:15 am

C. Bowman wrote: Michael,
According to Bakas Media there were 4.5 million people worldwide that participated, most on twitter or facebook. There were actual events all over, small, large & in between. I believe there were 17k tweets on Cab Day alone about it.
It may not have been the ideal timing for it but there were sure plenty of people & wineries that participated.
I think the next worldwide virtual event is riesling
It seems well liked then. Though, as Alan points out, Cabernet (sauvignon at least) hardly suffers for lack of publicity. In any case, I just don't enjoy cabernet sauvignon when its hot. I can understand the idea of big red wines with grilled steaks or burgers, but I'd rather have a beer, a cocktail, or a white/rose wine. For me, I look forward to fall as the time when I can really start to enjoy red wine again. Summer has lots going for it, but pairing with red wine is not one of them, IMO. And while September 1 may symbolically seem like autumn, or like a transition, all too often it will be hot in much of the US. Oh, and if the next one is riesling, they should have swapped.

To quote Ron Burgundy. "Its so damn hot. Milk was a bad choice."

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#20 Post by mike pobega » September 3rd, 2011, 11:46 am

Randy Bowman wrote:I can't believe the members of this board could miss such an important date. C'mon, we spend the rest of the year inventing reasons, off-lines, whatcha drinkin threads, threads dedicated to specific wines, etc., just so we can enjoy wine and camaraderie. They finally give us a dedicated day for Cabernet and everybody drank beer?

FAIL
Randy, just so we are clear, every day is Cabernet day around here, and we don't need no stinkin' # in front of it either! [cheers.gif]

User avatar
loren.grossman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1131
Joined: November 21st, 2009, 8:17 am

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#21 Post by loren.grossman » September 4th, 2011, 6:18 am

Drank a Rivers Marie 2003 cab. Very nice. Typical TRB notes. Figs, brown sugar/baking spices, black cherry, cassis. Nice structure though the flavors are maturing. Also opened a Zahtila Gerorge III 2003 that was corked.

User avatar
loren.grossman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1131
Joined: November 21st, 2009, 8:17 am

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#22 Post by loren.grossman » September 4th, 2011, 6:20 am

PeterH wrote:Well, I screwed up.

I opened a 2005 Nicolas Cole Camille that is only 26% Cab, the rest Merlot, Cab Franc, and a dab of Petite Verdot. It was a lush, fruit packed, medium oaked wine with just enough lingering structure to match it with grilled NY strip.

Guess where I got it.

P Hickner
Peter - the good news is the wine did not match the label and in fact you DID drink 100% cabernet! neener

User avatar
DJ Silverberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 280
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 8:57 pm
Location: central Florida

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#23 Post by DJ Silverberg » September 4th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Popped a 2001 Paul Hobbs Stagecoach that was pretty damn good. Followed it up with a 2002 Bressler cab that made the Hobbs pale in comparison
Nazdrovia,

DJ
--------------------------------
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis
@Hlyterroir on Twitter

User avatar
Mark C Johnson
Posts: 1068
Joined: July 6th, 2009, 3:18 pm
Location: 808 State

Re: Cabernet Day 2011

#24 Post by Mark C Johnson » September 4th, 2011, 1:26 pm

On Kauai for a long weekend break, a dinner with friends included:

Chateau Talbot Saint-Julien 1983:
Cork fell apart but I let it sit in the bottle for an hour and then decanted through a mesh strainer just before dinner. This was a delicious claret en pointe. Earth, forest floor, red fruit, this is what old world aged claret is all about. A beauty.

Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Jimsomare 1993:
ATP bottling of 100% Cab, a nice new world contrast to the Talbot. Although some similarities of the the variety were there, this was unmistakenly new world. Bright blue/red fruit with a nose of blackberry, this wine had cool climate written all over it. Firm acidity kept it lively and we enjoyed this until late into the evening. Another beauty.

Aloha! [cheers.gif]
Memes & Tropes

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”