The most underrated village in Burgundy

Normally, when we think of underrated, we think of Savigny-les-Beaune, Santenay, even Beaune itself, etc. But this time I am talking about on a much higher level. I am beginning to think I like the wines of Morey St. Denis as much as the wines of any village. In the last couple of weeks, I have had 2001 and 2002 Clos des Lambrays, and 2002 and 2007 Jouan Clos St. Denis and the wines are just great. Truchot Clos de la Roche is about my favorite wine. I just love the flavors of Morey wines. To me they are real true Burgundies that get to the heart of why we love Burgundy - concentration and magnificent aromas without too much weight. And, the producers in Morey include the three listed above plus Dujac, Lignier, Ponsot, etc.

Label me a big Morey fan.

Howard…where is the village by the name : Morey St. Denis ?

Is it between Gervey-Chambertin and Chambolle-Musigny ! [wink.gif]

Well said Howard.

I’m a big fan of the 2007 Jouan Clos St. Denis. Likely my favorite 2007 that Ive had. I have 2 or 3 left and it will be really hard to not drink them before maturity.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Most underrated… not really. Although it’s true that the village wines and some 1ers from Morey are, maybe, less heralded than those of the other villages in Côte de Nuits, the Grand Crus are really famous, especially since Clos de Tart and Clos des Lambrays have been improving in the last 10+ years.

Kitting aside…I agree with Guillaume that MSD is less heralded. [thumbs-up.gif]

Since we are talking about MOST underrated, I would say : P-Vergellesses, speailly so in North America.

I refuse to drink a wine that I can not pronounce

What about Pommard guys? Rugiens/Epenots with some age and from a good vintage/producer can stand with the best… A recent bottle of '78 Gaunoux Grands Epenots was super. Courcel anyone :O)? Happy Turkey Day eveyrone.

I understand your point - Barry.

Guess it is one of the reasons why most of the 1ieme crus - such as : Ille de Vergellesse and to a certain lesser extend Les Vergellesse and CdL Croix de Pierre were priced less than CAD $50 in Quebec,Canada.

Coates said in his CdOr ( 1st Editon ) that Ille de Vergellesse should be a candit for pormotion to g-cru… [stirthepothal.gif]. I hesitate to agree with him but definitely is a good hunting ground for best QPR in the whole Kingdom of Burgundy.

For red Burg ( in ripe years and due to the climate-change to warmer weather each year ) and for wine priced under CAD $ 39 I would say for Marsannay, if not …NOW…but in the next 5 to 10 years or so.

Please note there is no 1ieme classification ( yet ) in Marsannay.

Just my 2 cents.

Jonathan…Pommard is famous and herald - at least for villages in CdBeaune.

Underrated…definitely not. Any Rugiens/Epenots will be priced over CAD $ 100 in Quebec, Canada.

For whites, I think St Aubin is underrated.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Rick…I agree. Since vintage 2004, and due premoxi I shop for whites in St. Aubin. [highfive.gif]

That being said…the price for Clos Berthet ( white ) in P-Vergel ( which was promoted to the rank of 1ieme cru - some 10 years ago ) is easily at the ratio of 2 to 1 for some white St. Aubin 1ieme cru.

I wouldn’t be able to drink boillot and Fourrier cause I butcher those ll/rr so bad.

It’s a wonder you even manage to pronounce your own first name neener

OK. I was all ready to say Santenay after having some beautiful wines from the 60’s, but I get what you are saying. Thankfully, with the chinese entering the china shop, there are and will continue to be underappreciated areas where those in the know can still find satisfaction.

Another vote for St. Aubin for whites. With reds, I’m going with Volnay.

With all the love volnay gets on this board and the prices lafarge and d’angerville fetch, volnay is not underrated.

I think the village with the greatest discrepancy between terroir and producers on one side and buzz or popularity on the other is NSG.

Indeed, I had a lovely St. Aubin last month at around $40-$50CDN. It was sublime.

No doubt! I guess it’s all a matter of perspective - but - we hardly ever hear about people drinking wines from Pommard here (other places also). I can still find super good wines from Courcel and the like for a lot less than a better regarded 1er from lets say - Vosne.

I can’t believe that Volnay or Pommard could be seriously considered to be underrated!

I’d propose Fixin is underrated, receiving very little attention anywhere, yet making quite good wines, for example Dufouleur’s “Clos de Chapitre”, Berthaut “Les Crais”, or Gelin’s “Clos Napoleon”.

No, they’re not great wines, but they can be great values in high-quality village Bourgogne.

Chaad… [dance-clap.gif] …yea - I agree.

It is just north of Gervey ( and little south of Marsannay ).

No, they’re not great wines, but they can be great values in high-quality village Bourgogne

[welldone.gif]

This remind me of what Meadows said ( in his The Pearl ) about the finest burgundies ( = G-crus ) : when it comes to the finest burgundies, you may not always get what you paid for but you will never get what you don’t pay for.

It is alright …to be always on the look-out …for the holy grail in burgundy but beware. What it meant is if one wants to look for the highest… Height For Enjoyment ( of Burgundy finest wines ) …one needs to pay for the price.

newhere