Do world-class California Rieslings exist?

I just received an offering from Navarro. Included in the release is a '10 Riesling. It got me thinking. Are there wineries (Navarro or others) that can compete with Euro Riesling (especially dry Riesling)?

Stony Hill!

This. I’ve also had some oldies from the 70’s or 80’s that were nice. I don’t remember being wild about the Navarro though I do think some of their others are among the very very few value whites from California.

We did a Stony Hill dinner at Antoine’s in NOLA in the mid 80’s with both Chards and Rieslings going back to the early 70’s and the Rieslings stole the show.

Dashe Wines - Dashe Cellars

But their dry Muscat is exceptional.
Best, Jim

This can be true. I didn’t mean to undersell them by calling the ‘value whites’. The dry Muscat and Gewurztraminer are often very good.

There certainly are a number of folks down in SB County working with the grape - a few to take note of:

Ojai - Adam is working with the Kick On Ranch in Los Alamos, among others, and making some tasty stuff - time will tell about ageability.

Tatomer - new producer also working with Kick On as well as some Santa Rita Hills stuff. Great scores and reviews by many - I have only tried once but liked what I tried.

Not in SB County, but i’ve always enjoyed with Rieslings from Trefethen up in Napa. I think they fly under the radar for this variety but seem to do a stellar job, and these wines are much better and more interesting with bottle age . . .

Just my $.02.

Cheers!

I had Navarro’s 04 TBA styled Riesling last night, and while not as good as the best German examples, it was a very good wine which I will definitely continue to buy. At $25 for the half, great QPR.

Stony Hill
Esterlina
Alpen Cellars (Mountain winery up in Trinity County, very nice Riesling)
Smith Madrone (possibly my favorite)

There are a couple like Stony Hill and Smith-Madrone that are quite solid and IMO on par with many basic entry level dry wines or QBAs from Austria or Germany - but nothing that comes close to competing with what areas like the Wachau, Mosel or Nahe produce at the higher end in any style.

I keep hoping Rhys will experiment with Riesling…they certainly have the acreage.

And they could call it Rhysling? newhere pileon

no

Mike,

Can’t answer the dry question. I’ve never had one remotely in the same class as German/Austrian.

Ch. St. Jean made some amazing late harvest Rieslings in the mid-late 70’s - 80’s. The early Edel-wein & Edel-wine Gold from Freemark Abbey.
A few other producers too, when I jog my memory with a little Spatlese! :wink:

Certainly not equal to top estates/producers, but excellent quality. Maybe akin, & similar to a nice Rheinhessen or Pfalz BA/TBA. I vaguely remember “sugar-wars”, & some of the St. Jean wines reaching 35 - 40% residual sugar!

Have had the Navarro, & they are nice, correct, fairly clean examples. Agree that they’re good values along with most of the Navarro line.

[cheers.gif]

The simple answer is no - an emphatic no.

There’s some good Riesling from California (the gold standard is Navarro’s cluster select late harvest), but nothing that competes at the top tier. Nothing.

My vote would be for Stony Hill. I have had some excellent Claiborne & Churchill’s, but I would not say world class. The best new world Riesling I have ever had was the '06 J. Christopher. It had a glorious petrol nose with great balance and the longest finish I have ever had for under $20. I have wondered if that was the bottle that influenced Dr. Loosen to invest in him??

+1 For Smith Madrone - good young and only gets better with age.

Yup.

David,

How about the sweet side? Anything decent being produced these days?

Haven’t ventured back except for a disappointing Edel-wein Gold at the Freemark Abbey tasting room 7 or 8 years ago - & that was just for old times sake.
Fairly watery sugar-water, I’m afraid.

[cheers.gif]