TN: Wednesday Night Club - December 2011

WEDNESDAY NIGHT CLUB - DECEMBER 2011 - Peter Pratt’s Inn (12/7/2011)

Our monthly wine group got together to celebrate the Holidays and make merry at our favorite restaurant Peter Pratt’s Inn. Chef Nick DiBona was charged with creating a special menu for us and was given complete liberty. His genius was evident this evening as the food was as astonishing and memorable as the wines were. We started with an amazing Diver Scallop entree, followed by an epic Foie Gras, then on to Veal, then Wild Boar and then Duck Breast with a Confit muffin. I would eat that confit muffin every day for the rest of my life and be very, very happy. We finished off with homemade hazelnut ice cream that was divine. It was truly an epic evening complete with “bucket list” wines that I can now check off. We never planned on having such an embarrassment of riches, but the eight members of the group really and truly stepped up to the plate and knocked it out of the park.

• 2002 Domaine Bernard Morey et Fils Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru
    Blind - Initially poured a bronze/gold color, had very chalky notes, lots of wet stone, hints of oak, lemon zest and pie crust. I felt this a was bitten by the premox bug and several others agreed. It was not badly oxidized but enough to strip it of its elegance. Still enjoyable though. (87 pts.)

• 1995 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 890 - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja
    Blind - This poured very dark in color, loads of cedar aromas, long notes of grilled red meat, green peppers, became very tart and closed up quickly, I re-visited later and it opened wonderfully. Needs more cellaring but will be a standout wine in 10yrs. (91 pts.)

• 2007 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    Blind - Lovely nose, serious streak of rhubarb and cranberry fruit, leather, black truffle, mushrooms, very elegant mouthfeel, very nice wine overall. (92 pts.)

• 1994 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Único - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero
    Blind - This poured very dark, the nose was loaded with mushrooms and black fruit mixed with saddle leather and pine nuts, this wine presented a very sexy and elegant feel, lush and velvety but still not quite ready. I think this wine will outlive me and be drinking well for another 40yrs. Ridiculously layered with an immense structure that was not overbearing in the least. This was a “bucket list” wine for me so I was extremely thrilled to see it unveiled. Thank you so much Bob! (95 pts.)

• 2001 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva Monfortino - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Blind - this was vinturied and decanted for 6+hrs and was still tight as a drum. My rating is not solely based on what was in the glass but also the pure potential of this magnificent wine. It was brutally young and tight, screaming of a young Barolo, when Lance said he’d never had one and had been dying to bring one to a tasting I guessed Conterno to which Vinny added Monfortino, then Lance unveiled it. I held on to this in my glass for over an hour and revisited. Another “bucket list” wine for me. This was a majestic wine, the layers and layers of swirling aromas and tastes cascading into a waterfall of pleasure. Taking a sip of this with the veal was a magical experience, simply sublime. I see what the hype over this wine is about. Another wine that will certainly outlive me, I see no end to when this wine would not drink well. Simply stunning. (98 pts.)

• 2007 Gaja Langhe Nebbiolo Conteisa - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
    Blind - Pours black, very tight and unyielding, but one bite of the Wild Boar with this and it came right to life. Excellent levels of black fruits including plums and cassis, hints of black olives, figs and a good dose of leather. This could greatly benefit from 10yrs in the cellar. Nice wine. (93 pts.)

• 2004 Maybach Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Materium - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville
    Blind - Splash decanted 7hrs prior to dinner - This was a big, in your face wine, the nose was very strong and held notes of fresh crushed rasberry, violets and sage, the palate wasn’t as put together as the last time I had this wine and it may be in a transitional state, but it was still damn good. (93 pts.)

• 2009 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah Stonessence - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley
    Blind - Mike and I swore up and down this was Hermitage after the initial sniff. Not a hint that it was a New World wine at all, totally old school, this is a big wine and if when the wrapper was pulled off a Chave Hermitage was revealed I would not have been one bit surprised, it’s that good! Rich and deep but with old world nuances, mushrooms, leather, garrigue, roasted meats it was a tremendous wine. (94 pts.)

• 2002 Torbreck Run Rig - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    Blind - splash decanted 7hrs prior to dinner - I found it floral on the nose, sweet fruit and in no way overdone, a tremendously well endowed and well made wine that is more comparable to a great Cote Rotie than a Barossa Shiraz. This is a very deep and methodical wine that slowly but surely brings great amounts of wonderfully ripe fruit to every square millimeter of your palate. Nice long finish. (94 pts.)

• 2006 Betts & Scholl Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    Very nice wine, loads of dark fruit, mushrooms, seared meat and fresh brewed coffee. Well made and nicely balanced. (91 pts.)

• 2006 Colgin IX Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Blind - decanted - This poured black in color, the nose was a bit tight and unyielding but opened nicely over the course of the meal. I found the '05 more accessible and inviting, but this was a special wine. Dark blueberry, blackberry, cassis and creme de cocoa notes, very, very nice. (94 pts.)

• 2005 Colgin IX Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Blind - decanted - This wine poured ink black, huge and inviting nose of hot cocoa and cinnamon, on the palate you find waves of black and blue fruits, amazingly structured and deftly balanced this is a voluptuous and sexy wine, sinfully delicious. I preferred this to the '06 this evening and about the same as the '03 I had a few weeks ago. (96 pts.)

• 2005 Sine Qua Non Syrah Atlantis Fe2O3~1a, b & c - USA, California
    Blind - splash decanted 7hrs prior to dinner - Woof, what a gorgeous nose, huge notes of ripe black fruit, tar, rubber and anisette, the palate grabs your attention and never lets go, you either love this wines or you don’t and I do. Decadently deep and rich. Very distinctly SQN. (95 pts.)

• 2003 Château Suduiraut - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    I wasn’t so thrilled with this wine this time, maybe my palate was fatigued, but it wasn’t nearly as sweet or honied as I remember, kind of drab and almost dull. I much preferred the Inniskillin. (87 pts.)

• 2006 Inniskillin Vidal Icewine - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley, Okanagan Valley VQA
    Sweet and delightful, light, not cloying, honey over citrus fruit, nice. (92 pts.)

This was truly an unreal event and I can’t thank the other members enough for their generosity.
Posted from CellarTracker

Some pictures:

courses 4-6:

Wine pics:

More Vino:

More vino:

Thanks for the notes, Mark. If I had to pick one to drink again today, it would be the Unico. But down the road…the Monfortino will be the king!

I agree Lance, thanks for bringing the MoFo, it was a real treat!

Sounds like a great evening Mark. I need to check out Peter Pratts one of these days. (MY wife thinks its old, tire and stuffy, so getting her to go there has been a challenge)

The building itself is old, no doubt, but Chef Nick DiBona is a young guy, with great ideas and loves to experiment, the restaurant atmosphere is casual though, not many people dine with suits there honestly. I highly recommend it.

That confit muffin with the duck breast does look quite enticing flirtysmile .

It was unreal Bob! [thumbs-up.gif]

Mark, great notes and pics. But what was the purpose of such a huge unstructured tasting? [berserker.gif]

pileon pileon

We should be flogged! [stirthepothal.gif]