Where is Bearwallow?

I’m on the Mendocino coast for a few more days, and wondering if anyone knows where Bearwallow Vineyard is. We’ll likely go to the Anderson Valley in the next couple of days, or on the way back home. Just want to know as I’m driving on 128 where I should look (if it’s even visible from the highway). Thanks!

Google hasn’t helped me get you an answer so far and I’ve never been to the place. Still looking for you.

It’s right next to the highway on the north side. When I went by two years back there were signs on the fence that said “Rhys project”. That’s the only way I really knew it was there. It is right next to Kiser but that is not marked either. I don’t remember how many miles in from the coast that was.

Found it on the Anderson Valley Winegrowers Assoc site.
1111 Hwy 128
Navarro, CA 94563

Great, thanks for the help!

Easy to find on The Deep End of Anderson Valley, north side of Hwy 128. Well marked and easily visible.

One cool thing to note about the satellite imagery in that link - It catches the vineyard at a point where it is easy to distinguish between the 5 original blocks (darker green, going north from the pond) and the new plantings (more beige, mostly east and south of original blocks).
We thought we might replant those original vines once our new plantings came into production but they have steadily improved. I am very excited about the 2010 and 2011 Bearwallow. In fact the 2011 may be the best Pinot we made that year. No chance we are taking out our 13 year old “Vielles Vignes” now…

I think the cool thing about that satellite imagery is that you can see me on the waiting list, even from space.

CJ, that is damn funny post. Well done. [drinkers.gif]

Yes, well done CJ!

Kevin - is it correct that Bearwallow consist of 20 acres with 7 acres being original plantings? From an acreage perspective, where does this place Bearwallow amongst Rhys vineyard holdings?

Russ,
In addition to the 6 original acres, we have planted another 25 acres for 31 acres in total (23 of Pinot and 8 of Chard) at Bearwallow. This compares to the 42 acres across 5 vineyards that we farm in the Santa Cruz Mountains. When the new Bearwallow acreage starts producing in 2013, Rhys will have our first meaningful increase in production since 2006.

What clones did you plant up in Anderson Valley Kevin?

Glenn,
Our Pinot plantings include a Swan field selection and two different massale (mixed) selections comprised of CA heritage and suitcase clones.

Good suitcases I trust!

I love when I hear the terminology “suitcase clones” it’s so cloak and dagger.

Kevin, great to hear about the progress being made at Bearwallow - two questions: can you comment briefly on what you are seeing from your chardonney plantings so far, and when can we expect to see the first chard released? Second, your note about the pinot getting stronger every year, and with your 20+ acres of pinot - have you identified any areas in the vinyard that you may eventually use to blend a luxury cuvee (a la Swan Terrace at Alpine)? Thanks! [cheers.gif]

Jim,
The vines were just grafted this year (2011) so I don’t have much specific information about Bearwallow Chardonnay. I can say that we devoted some excellent blocks to Chard so we have high expectations. Much of the budwood was from the Hyde field selection at Alpine which is terrific. I have a hunch that BW Chard will be more elegant (much like the Pinot) and less powerful than Alpine.

As far as different cuvees, there are several possibilities. First there are some very different soils (red, yellow, brown) at Bearwallow and we have mapped the blocks accordingly. Meanwhile, we have also planted a very high density section (3x2) on one of the most promising, shallow, rocky soiled, east facing locations. That will be a fun one.

I am dying to see what we learn but vineyard development just takes a lot of time!

Might be old news to Berserkers but just found out while tasting at Rhys SCM today that Bearwallow is approximately the same terroir as Mount Eden, due to how the fault line runs. That is pretty cool.

Amazing view of Ridge and Mount Eden today from Skyline and the tasting wasn’t half bad either. newhere

The Horseshoe Chard is really singing from barrel. The 2006 Swan Terrace is coming into its own too. [cheers.gif]

Perhaps you mean soils instead of terroir?