Jadot buys Chateau de Chorey

Reported by James Molesworth. Thoughts? I love Jadot, but never had a Chateau de Chorey wine, although I have heard good things. What does this do to the Jadot portfolio? Seems like they are only adding more Beaune 1ers, which they already have plenty of…

I believe I read that just the vineyards were for sale, not the chateau or cellars? Jadot is a great place for the vineyards, which could have wound up under ownership much less committed to quality, IMO.

They have some of the best vineyards in Cras and Vignes Franches. This will only help Jadot for sure. Since they have Ursules in Vignes Franches I will be interested to see what they do with the other parcel. The parcel in Cras is absolutely fabulous.

I’d heard Chorey’d sold, but not to whom. What I’ve read/heard of their vines is that they are mostly well-placed within their respective climats and well-aged (I think Norman comments thus). Assuming Jadot discontinues the Tante Berthe bottling, releasing more of the Franches and Teuron VV juice for regular bottling, results could be impressive. Wonder who will run wine-making post Lardiere - or is this already known?

I hope the Jadot whites show improvement with respect to rapid oxidation: it would be a pity to lose access to Chorey’s Pernand-Vergelesses Combottes.

Glad to read that the Cras is so good, since I have a small parcel cellaring.

Frederic Barnier

Will he strive just to maintain the style and standards well-established now by Lardiere, is it known, or recast them according to his own vision?

Ian.
My bet is that Jacques has WAY too much energy not to be involved at some level. (Consultant?) I would think that this will be a smooth transition. FWIW.

Iam, see this thread. Leo answers questions regarding the change in wine makers at Jadot …
https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/2010-red-burgundy/50158/22

He has specifically said, when he is gone, he is gone. One can only hope the standards remain high, but I doubt Jacques Lardiere will be there to make that happen.

Ian, here’s the thread https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/jacques-lardiere-louis-jadot-will-retire-at-the-end-of-2012/25201/3

Thanks, wealth of information. Sorry to have asked a question that had already been asked.

FYI only : in Quebec, Canada we always receive Les Cras v.v. year in and year out, despite the fact that Tante Berthe was born from vintage 2002. In my view, beside Tante Berthe, it is always the best of the 3 v.v. from G. Germain. For some unknown reason, vintage 2006 was the last release ( sad ) of Tante Berthe here by the importer ( who also imports DRC in Quebec, Canada).

I think we chatted on this precise point recently, Peter; you or someone else wrote that only Cras vv juice, among Chorey’s top Beaune 1er holdings, was not diverted into the Tante Berthe, leaving Cras vv preeminent among the 1er bottlings. Or something like that.

Tante Berthe is so extremely expensive that I haven’t been tempted to try it.

Yes…we talked about it.

Meadows reported Tante Berthe contained extreme old vine-juice from Germain 3 Beaune 1er cru ( Les Cras, V-Franche and Teuron ) and only 2 - 500 ml barrels were crafted every years.

In Quebec Canada we always has Les Cras v.v.; but lately the other 2 - 1er cru are back with v.v. juice.

Les Cras v.v. is around CA$65 per and Tante-Berthe is double that price.

Is is worth the price ?

Yes - most of my Chinese wine-friends ( who prefer Bordeaux ) love it very much flirtysmile . They call it Chateau Latour dressed in Italian Burgundy suite.

Assuming Jadot discontinues the Tante Berthe bottling, releasing more of the Franches and Teuron VV juice for regular bottling, results could be impressive.

Ian…as a folllower of J. Germain ( or Chateau de Chorey ) since vintage 1990 I would like to make a few comments.

For vintage 1990…I bought mutiple bottles of nearly all the wines from Germain’s portfalio and did comparitive tastings with them.

At the end of 1990s I settled down only buying mutiple bs of (1) Les Cras v.v. and alos (2) Chorey-Les-Beaune. That being said, I also buy few bottles of his other 2 Beaune -1er crus ( V.F. and Teuron ) for compartive tasting wine events. I buy cases of his Les Cras v.v. and his Chorey-Les-Beaune in excellent vintage years : for example - 1999, 2002 and 2005. I also buy mutiple bs of Tante-Berthe since vintage 2002.

I buy them because they are the best wines from J. Germain portfalio. Logic tells me Chateau de Chorey ( or Benoit Germain ) spent most of his time, efforts with small details…to make them.

When Jadot takes over those vineyard holdings from J. Germain, will they do the same ?

It will be everyone guess …and please do not forget Jadot owns Musigny, CdBeze and B-Mares.

Chateau de Chorey wines have tended to be very hard, requiring extensive aging. Here is my last mini-note from a 1999 Beaune Les Teurons:

“Friday, September 23, 2011 - An earthy nose with dark fruit, not terribly giving. Tannic, young and hard on the palate. Interesting wine and worth trying, but it really needs five more years or more to be pleasant. Good potential.”

My one tasting there was also a slightly harsh experience. A cold dark cellar, combined with dark, hard wines made for a difficult session. Nice dogs, though.

Although Jadot’s wines also tend to require aging, they’ve never seemed quite so hard to me. So I think it’s likely a positive change.

Wow, talk about small production. Those must be cute little barrels, too.

Chateau de Chorey wines have tended to be very hard, requiring extensive aging.

Yes - totally agree. Tante Berthe is like Chateau Latour dressed in Itanlian-made Burgundy-Suite - it needs 12-15 years botte age after closing-down.

Peter, thanks for relating all your experience with Germain. I didn’t mean to sound critical about Tante Berthe: for me, personally, the cash premium for super cuvees doesn’t usually balance out, and the Tante Berthe just costs more than I’m willing to spend on a bottle. This choice says more about me than it does about the wine. Likewise, I am not the least dismissive of Jadot, which has a very fine (vine?) reputation here at WB.

It will be instructive to see how Jadot integrates these new holdings into their portfolio: will, say, the Germain Teurons juice simply be blended into the product of their current holdings for the regular Teuron bottling, or will it be distinguished in some way? Same with the Pernand-Vergelesses Combottes. Also curious whether the 2010 wine will be sold under Germain’s or Jadot’s label, and what pricing will be like.

By the way, I’m curious why Germain’s Teurons didn’t make it onto your regular ‘buy’ list from this producer, since the vineyard has a very good reputation (also, there is some fairly-priced 2005 Germain Teurons in my local area).

Cheers.

By the way, I’m curious why Germain’s Teurons didn’t make it onto your regular ‘buy’ list from this producer, since the vineyard has a very good reputation (also, there is some fairly-priced 2005 Germain Teurons in my local area).

So…you are a fun for Germain’s Teuron.

I just double checked my inventory. At the beginning of 90s…I regularly buy boughthe equal number of Les Cras and Teuron ; but than since vintage 1998…my buying ratio is 4 bs of Les Cras to 1 b of Teuron; for example for vintage 1998 : 16 bs of Les Cras and 4 bs of Teuron. My last buy of mutiple bs was vintage 2005 with the same ratio. That being said…I did but one bottle each for vintage 2006 and 2007. I tried them but did not back-fill.

For some unknow reasons…for vintage 2009 on Germain : Vignes Franches v.v. is being offerred here a few month back and I did not order any. So in a way…it seems like in the end of my love towards Germain’s Beaune 1er crus wines.

BTW…what is the price for Germain Teuron in your area and also what is the price for Tante-Berthe ? In Canada Teuron is always priced around the same just a few dollar less than Les Cras - which is around CA $65 and Tante-Berthe is around CA $130.