Excited about my wine shipment today!

I received a shipment of old CA cabs, and two of the collection are mine - both of which I am quite excited about.

1983 Dominus Estate

1971 Inglenook Limited Cask (Cask 38) - this will be enjoyed on my upcoming birthday, being a birth year wine, and my first ever birth year wine!

[thank_you.gif]

Oh my ! you are such a baby … Enjoy

I actually just picked-up a pristine 1980 Inglenook Limited Cask Reserve Selection from Wine Bid. I was really amazed by the condition of the bottle - looks like it was just released.

That bottle will be opened with several other bottles of the same vintage next year on my 30th!

Guess that makes me just a twinkle in my father’s eye! [blush2.gif]

Did you get the 87 Mondavi and the 77 Mayacamas? Sell them to me… [foilhat.gif]

[quote="M. Sai
Guess that makes me just a twinkle in my father’s eye! [blush2.gif][/quote]

I’m gonna start calling you Twinkle or maybe Twinkie !

Some of the older CA wines are really drinking much better than I would have thought. I’ve picked up several over the last few months and all but one has been great. One of the best was a '74 BV latour

i have had 10-15 1974 Napa Cabs the past few years without a single dead bottle. some less stellar than others but all worthy to exceptional.

that Inglenook sounds really like an interesting step backwards in time!

I’d be more interested to see how the 83 dominus is doing. 83 was a shit year in napa. All of the 83’s I have had, 10+ from top producers have all been way over the hill, beat up and shot.

prove me wrong about 83

I will, Rico!! I WILL!!

I’ve had the 1983 Dominus, I think last year. It was truffled popcorn and cab night with Dick & Carollee. I’m not a cab fan, but this wine was pretty amazing. Quite an eye opening experience.
[drinkers.gif]

Boo ya!!!

Todd - great minds think alike. I bought some 1971’s for the first time last week and expect delivery this coming week. I’m so excited about having a birthyear wine. I got some sherries and a BV pinot and cab. I can’t wait.

Well, well, fellow '71’er! When is your birthday? I’ll see if I can pick up a couple more birthyear wines and do as you are, then we can post notes. Mine’s March 25th - coming up.

June 28 - I suspect I’ll open some before then because I’ve got some friends born in 71 and while they’re not wine geeks, they’d be tickled with a bottle from their (our) birthyear.

I finally had a few birth year wines last year. Ausone, Lafite and HB. Unfortunatlely, they were not 1971, that’s the year I entered Law School. [blackeye.gif]

had a Mondavi early 70’s PN last year (72 or 74?) and it didn’t impress me as much as it did many others.

Or you could simply hold it till another Central Valley offline and use it for our 30th anniversary! [diablo.gif] [rofl.gif] I could bring another '80 to match it! [drinks.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

had the 83 Beringer Reserve for my bday, surprisingly alive and kicking. A bit more secondary notes than i’d like but still all in all not so shabby.

A Huge nose of fresh french bread with light vanilla and dry vibrant fruit. Large amounts of fruit on the palate with leathery herbs. A touch of mint on the mid palate with a prune finish. There still had a good amount of alcohol throughout the drink and it tasted a bit disjointed, but I’m surprised anything from California during my birth year survived. (67 views)

Those with a 1971 birth year can also look at Barolo. It was a good year for Barolo.

We need a separate “Old Farts” birth year thread, Jack. My birth year is 1954, a very bad year for wine. Fortunately, last year I had bottle of 1954 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo Riserva. It was shockingly good!