Next Rafanelli mailing

Thought I remembered Rafanelli mailing came out in February and I missed it, so just called them.

Letters will be mailed out April 1.

Thanks for the scoop. I sent a letter to them last year and have yet to hear a peep. I guess I shouldn’t be shocked – I sometimes wonder if they are competing for the Turley-Wetlaufer customer service award… I’ll see if I hear anything this spring.

Steve, I think you may be being a wee bit harsh. Rafanelli is an easy appointment to get and they have always had at least a bottle or two of Zin and Cab for purchase if you visit the winery. I have heard tales of getting, uh, less than friendly service from who ever happened to be manning the tasting room but do not have any first hand experience and have nothing but a nice time when visiting. YMMV.

Fair point… and I was having a rough day. That being said, I have had them cancel two appointments on me and yes, I found it a little off-putting that one has to snail-mail in a request to be added to their list. Time will tell.

Wow. Did you also find it off-putting that you had to use the telephone to make an appointment?

From their website: “Sorry, we do not communicate through email and would prefer to speak to our customers by phone. Thank you and we look forward to speaking with you soon.”
Personally, I find that personal touch refreshing. YM, obviously, MV.

EDIT: While you wait, Steve, I’ll be more than happy to share some Rafanelli wines.

I’ve been trying to beg, charm, grovel, cajole my way onto their list for years.

I’d buy with smoke-signals if they’d allow it. I’ll see if I finally get lucky on April 1.

Next time you’re up in DCV make an appointment and visit Mike. I don’t know if it will get you on the list any faster but they always have at least a bottle or two of Zin and Cab for sale to those who visit. I seem to remember that they release in May so maybe someone on the list can confirm.

When we first started buying Rafanelli, the only way to purchase was over the phone. Then they started using US Mail. This is just their way of doing business, which is fine with us, and they have always been very friendly.

Thanks,
Ed

It is all about the classic Zinfandles they make !

I made an appointment (on the telephone) to visit Rafanelli several years ago. I showed up on time and was treated as though I were an interruption and an inconvenience in the most condescending and haughty ("We’re important and you are not. We don’t need you, we sell all our wine through our mailing list . . . ") manner imaginable. I did not, nor will I ever, buy any of their wine.

They can go eff themselves, “classic” zinfandels and other acclaim or not. People who treat me as though I’m valued get my business. Thank you, Fred and Judi Scherrer and John Cabot, along with a host of producers in the Willamette Valley who always act as though they’re pleased to see me - even if they have no special reason to be pleased other than the fact I’m entertaining.

Weird. I sent them a letter years ago and was put on their list immediately. Their mailer shows up April 1st every year like clockwork. I get a Christmas card from them every December as well. I’ve visited with them once and had a great visit as well even though I called them on my cell to let them know we were running 30 minutes late due to our late inbound flight. I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with them since day one.

Your experiences echo mine. I will buy their Zinfandel without hesitation.

Tom
Twitter: @NWTomLee

You and Joe are, obviously, more important than Bob.

[snort.gif]

Obviously.

Love their wines but have had a few less than stellar interactions in person, on phone, and by mail. Wish they would get the customer service piece right and consistently good. I still love their wines but I rarely buy zinfandel anymore.

Have been buying Rafanelli for a long time and have never had any problems with them. Tastings are usually done by a family member or winemaker. Last time I was there Dave Rafanelli did the tasting. A time before it was Patty. So sometimes they are probably busier and more rushed. The just do phone and mail. Last time I forgot to send a check in with my order. They called me up laughing and wanted to know if I wanted free wine. If some other favorite wineries from this site actually called you on the phone there would be 200 posts on how wonderful their customer service is. They send out next week and you should have your wine very quickly after they receive your order. Very good cabs and Zins and they age really nice.

Have heard this similar story over and over from local friends when it comes to Rafanelli. Think the bad experiences have surrounded a certain individual, and suspect a more enthusiastic next generation may have a slightly different attitude. Generally enjoy Rafanelli Cabernets, they age well, are attractively priced, and easy to find on local restaurant lists.

I’m glad that was your experience, Bill. It was not mine. Oh, it was pleasant enough, but here’s what I wrote about it in a recent thread on places to visit in Sonoma - based on a visit in September last year:

Although I have been (and continue to be) on the Rafanelli mailing list for 20+ years, I do not particularly recommend a visit. Why not? It’s a tasting only. No tour available, not even a glimpse inside the new winery. No interaction with the owners, except by happenstance. It’s a beautiful spot, but you don’t get to see much of it.

That said, my many interactions with the Rafanellis over the years have always been positive - including those with the notoriously temperamental Patty. Based on my long experience, it’s hard for me to imagine being treated as Bob Wood describes - but then, he’s not the only one with that kind of story to tell.

Tim Fish of the Wine Spectator tweeted to the effect that the 09 Zinfandel from Rafanelli has brett issues. Anyone else have this experience?

Tom
Twitter: @NWTomLee
www.zinfandelchronicles.com

I had the 2010 in June and thought it was amazing. Absolutely no sign of brett.