Discussion of 2001 Red Burgs

I thought it might be interesting to hear about other’s recent experience with this vintage. I have had fabulous drinking from many '01s starting just a year or so after release but around 2008 it seemed that some '01s were tightening and possibly shutting down. As I open more of them this year, I am having some very mixed results (regarding maturity not quality). Many drink extremely well (as they always did), a couple have seemed to need time, while a few seem like they are maturing early and possibly should be drunk up. Very surprisingly, a couple of the wines showing early maturity are DRC RSV and Arnoux RSV & Suchots. These would be some of the last wines I would expect to see mature early, so I thought I would post and hear what others are experiencing.

A great topic, Kevin, very timely, and I hope we’ll get a lot of views expressed. I can say Clos des Lambrays turned grumpy a few years ago, and is only somewhat accessible now, but looks good for the future based on a bottle last month. I’ve also had four 2001’s from Chambolle in the last week, all 1er crus, all ready to go. The Bertheau C-M Charmes and Barthod C-M Beaux Bruns are drinking great, very impressive wines, and I have no concerns about these being overly mature or lasting well.

I did feel the Fourrier C-M Gruenchers was worrisome and should be consumed sooner rather than later. I thought it was outstanding, but I rated prior bottles as exceptional, and the freshness/vibrancy seems to be slipping. I have been drinking two bots per year, and see a trend, so not talking about one isolated bottle. Given the Fourrier 2001 cork issues (or other issues), I don’t think this experience should be taken as commentary on the vintage, however. I think it is probably an isolated Fourrier issue.

Also, the Dujac C-M Gruenchers was surprisingly mature. It concerned me a bit, but in the end I decided it was not an issue of overly advanced maturity. That could be wrong. This was my first bottle of the Dujac, but I have more and won’t wait more than a year to open another.

All four of these 2001 Chambolle 1er crus had a surprising degree of amber in the color when first opened, but all four freshened up and became more red/ruby with aeration. I’m not sure if that is worrisome or not. I think not. What do others think?

Just reviewing my notes, if I go back into last year I get some additional data points. In 2011, Roumier C-M 1er cru Les Cras and Roumier C-M tout court were both very young, needing more age to show their best. About the same for Barthod C-M Les Fuees, which is showing well with extensive air, but seems set for a long future. I’d say the same for Cathiard Malconsorts and Chevillon Vaucrains, both fantastic wines. I did have some concerns about Hudelot-Noellat NSG Murgers as to whether it was overly advanced, but it seemed fresher after 12 hours in decanter, so maybe just a bit closed. This one bears monitoring, IMO.

Lastly, my last bottle of Fourrier CSJ was opened last June, and it was lovely and fresh and 100% a grand cru experience. I only had 3 bots of this and no issues with any of them, although I know many others have had overly-advanced bottles that did not show well.

Some experiences over the last couple of years off the top of my head.

Roumier Chambolle & Les Cras - still young and high tensile.

Dujac Clos de la Roche - ina wierd place, very backward
Dujac MSD - drinking well, carried by the acid a bit

Clavelier Corton - fabulous, open and in the zone

Arnoux VR Chaumes & ech - still young.

bachelet Gevrey Corbeaux - drinking well

DRC Ech - fabulous!! Still upside, but delicious now.

Fourrier - I just can’t warm to these

Raphet MSD and CM - tender, ready to go

My impressions of recent wines, and this is an unreliable feel is that they have not developed into the great wines that i thought they would. I haven’t cracked one for a few months, but perhaps it is time to investigate further.

Thanks for starting this Kevin. A few months ago I tasted a mini horizontal of 01 Frederic Esmonin wines that included the Ruchottes Chambertin, Mazy Chambertin, Lavaux St Jacques and Estournelles St Jacques. The Ruchottes was drinking fairly well, with some secondary characterizes on the nose, but the palate was still fairly primary…okay to drink now but should continue to develop. The Mazy was in a similar spot, perfumey nose, white pepper, quite open, although I felt the structure was still quite present here and it needed 3-5 years. Both the Lavaux and Estournelles were fully open for business and drinking well (I preferred the Lavaux) and if I owned any I’d be drinking over the next 3-5 years.

A few other notable 01s…

La Pousse d’Or Corton Clos du Roi – aromatics showing hints of development but palate was primary with firm and drying tannins and showing lots of masculinity. Needs 5+ years.

Rousseau Chambertin and Chambertin Clos de Beze – both of these drank very well in a youthful sorta way, although the CdB was quite a bit tighter on the nose. Both had lots of firm tannins and bright acidity along with gorgeous crunchy red fruits, loads of depth, intensity and length. If I had a case of each, I’d have no problem popping one or two now, but if I only had a few bottles, I’d be holding for 5-10 years. Sadly I have none of either.

I haven’t come across any fully closed or grumpy bottles of 01 recently, but I’ve only had a dozen or so examples in the past year.

I just opened a bottle of Clos de Tart that showed very poorly. No flaws, just blah and boring. I can only hope it was simply closed down.

We have noticed in our group a number of times in the last 18 months or so that the DRC RSV, LT and Richebourg all showing what appears to be premature aging.

I have reported on this a number of times. The Leroy RSV and Richebourg we had also last year looked similar.

Late last year Jeremy and I opened a few other GC '01’s which all looked very tight and backwards, virtually no signs of aging at all…

Overall, I am quite perplexed now about this vintage and where it is ultimately heading…

Kevin, can you name some names… drinking well; needing time; and any others with surprising maturity besides the DRC and Arnoux wines you mentioned? BTW, Arnoux’s 1993’s evolved early, with the RSV seeming mature in 2007, but I think it will hold for a good long while. At least I thought that in 2007.

A few months ago I mentioned that I thought some 2001s were aged premature and some people here basically called me an idiot. I wonder if 2001s were sitting in warehouses during the 2003 heat wave and that would explain why some were showing that way.

2001 Pavelot Narbontons, JJ confuron RSV, Dujac Charmes-Chambertin, and surprisingly, Gouges Les St Georges in february all open enough to enjoy, yet expected to be better with more time. No sign of premature age or heat damage. 2001 Comte Armand Pommard clos des Epenots fairly tighly closed with no sign of opening up any time soon.

Personally the fact that folks have reported variable showings simply makes me want to wait another 3-4 years. To me, reports of underwhelming wines simply sound as if they are closed down For most resonably serious vintages (which I feel 2001 is), I think a 15 year rule still applies. So what’s the hurry? (I’m not doubting reports of wines that seem over the hill, but I haven’t experienced that yet).

This has been one of my thoughts before, also reckon I have seen some heat damage in some '02’s, with a number of corks shot through…

I have found most 01s, formerly drinking well, to be fairly shut down recently. Looking at my notes on CT, I see the following comments: Leroy Vosne-Romanée Les Genaivrières “showing more tannin and less fruit than before - ignore for a bit” (march 2012); Grivot NSG Boudots " paired with 02 - this more tight and reticent, needs time " (Dec. 2011); Clos des Lambrays “nice enough but showing very young - ignore for a bit” (Dec. 2011 - this after a much better showing in August).

My conclusion was “leave 01s alone for awhile.”

I’ve had pretty good luck with 2001s over the past 6 months - with the high water marks being the Truchot Les Sentiers, the Denis Mugneret Richebourg, and a Denis Bachelet Charmes-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes (thanks Maureen!).

• 2001 Jacques Prieur Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (2/17/2012)
    Clos Vougeot Dinner (Acquitaine - Lincoln Park, Chicago): While displaying nice crunchy red fruit, this seems to be about 5-10 years away from really coming out of its shell. After some time, the floral notes started to build and combined with some nice tobacco and spice notes. I’d be very interested to try this wine again in a decade to see how it has matured. (91 pts.)
  • 2001 Denis Mugneret Père et Fils Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru (11/29/2011)
    Final Night in DC (Palena - Washington, DC): This had about 8 hours of air before dinner. Everything about this wine was powerful. It had aromas of dry-aged meat, dark spices, cranberry, dried leaves and leather - one of the more nuanced and complex noses I’ve come across of late. The palate was equally as complex. Layers of dried florals, hung meat, mushrooms, dried leaves and cranberry. The density of flavor on the palate was intense, but the mouthfeel remained airy and lithe - the perfect combination. Loved this wine, and while it’s enjoyable now, will surely hold up for a long time.
  • 2001 Domaine Truchot-Martin Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Sentiers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (11/29/2011)
    Final Night in DC (Palena - Washington, DC): This was slow-ix’d for about 8 hours before dinner. This had an incredibly delicate, feminine profile with a potpourri-like nose of dried red florals, warm spices and dried leaves. The body had beautiful floral characteristics that were elegant and fresh. Overall, I enjoyed this very much - it was overpowered by some of the other wines at the table, but held its own and is an A+ 1er in my book.
  • 2001 Pierre Damoy Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Grand Cru (11/29/2011)
    Final Night in DC (Palena - Washington, DC): This was even big and meaty for a Clos de Beze! The oak was obvious on the nose and palate…which helped turn this wine into the brute that it was. Layered flavors of meat, clove spice, cranberries, dried florals and mushroom are somewhat cloaked in the oak. I wonder how this will age over the next 5-7 years…will the oak shed away exposing the elegant palate, or will it just remain a big and blocky pinot?
  • 2001 Domaine Denis Bachelet Charmes-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru (10/9/2011)
    Mike Grammer Comes to Town (Dino, Washington DC): Of the reds, this was probably my favorite. The nose was just loaded with dark spices, violets, mushrooms, currants and fall leaves. Much like the Verget, this had simply intoxicating aromas. The body of the wine was elegant, yet masculine with a melange of spices and earth accompanying a smoked meat component. Brilliant finish. Has the chops to last a long time. (93 pts.)
  • 2001 Domaine des Lambrays Clos des Lambrays - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos des Lambrays Grand Cru (10/9/2011)
    Mike Grammer Comes to Town (Dino, Washington DC): This competed with the Bachelet as my favorite red of the evening. In a night full of masculine, dark wines, this stood as a far more feminine and elegant pinot. Characterized more by rich florals, sweet red fruit and a warm spiciness, this seemed the most accessible of the bunch. An elegant Lambrays that seems to be ascending toward its plateau. (92 pts.)
  • 2001 Domaine Joseph Roty Charmes-Chambertin Très Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru (10/9/2011)
    Mike Grammer Comes to Town (Dino, Washington DC): As is the case with most Roty wines, this is DARK and I’m afraid I would have pegged this as a Northern Rhone syrah if tasted blind. Had a distinct olive tapenade note on the nose with dark spices, grilled mushrooms and spiced meats on the palate. Overall, this had a very firmness to it that makes me think it’s a relative adolescent and could gain in elegance with some time. (92 pts.)
  • 2001 Chauvenet-Chopin Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (10/9/2011)
    Mike Grammer Comes to Town (Dino, Washington DC): corked NR (flawed)
  • 2001 Domaine Perrot-Minot Charmes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru (10/9/2011)
    Mike Grammer Comes to Town (Dino, Washington DC): I think Mike described this quite accurately as an acutely young Grand Cru. The nose was a bit monolithic with spiced red fruit and the palate had a somewhat vacant feel to it. Luckily, as it lay in the glass the spices began to deepen and the red fruit seemed to grow in intensity. Seemed to be an example of wine that needs a lot of air and/or a good deal more bottle age.
  • 2001 Faiveley Latricières-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Latricières-Chambertin Grand Cru (10/9/2011)
    Mike Grammer Comes to Town (Dino, Washington DC): A taste of this an hour before dinner had me concerned. There was noticeable VA on the finish, but I hoped that some air would soften that up a bit. While the VA stuck around, it was less noticeable. NR (flawed)
  • 2001 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay 1er Cru Clos des Chênes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (10/8/2011)
    Tasted blind. I was a bit thrown off by this one due to its relative weight and sweetness…which struck me for an older Sonoma Coast pinot. This had a pretty floral tone to it with sweet red fruit. Palate is feminine with silky tannins and a floral lift on the finish. Seems to be in a good spot.

Posted from CellarTracker

Drank a bottle two weeks ago at Auberge . . . extraordinary nose. Was drinking well, but obviously young. Was really quite good.

Patrick

same experience a year ago–thought it to be closed.

2001 Groffier Bonnes Mares on Friday. Super young. Certainly no signs of premature aging. Okay cut, good nose of red and black fruit and bramble, but a bit lacking on the palate. Tasty, but just not incredibly complex

I’ve had the following recently and felt that they all needed a good 3- 5 more years:

Barthod Cras
Barthod Fuees
Drouhin Petit Monts
Dujac Charmes
Dujac Combottes
M-G Fuesselottes
H-N Malconsorts

Good to know - mine can sleep - I thought it superb, and a vintage favourite about 3-4 years ago.

'01 Groffier Bonnes Mares, too, on Saturday - my note…
“Color is ruby through and through - no variation even to the rim. The nose? WOW. Intense fragrance, a touch of oak and gobs of fruit. More fragrance on the attack, which goes and goes, sliding into the mid palate with ripe fruit. Finishes with smokey spice, coupled with secondary flavors - the finish doesn’t quit, either. Great weight and mouthfeel…excellent wine!”

I had a Armand Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze about 18 months ago that was sublime…I have 2 more that I am going to wait given whispers of this vintage shutting down