uggg 1999 dom perginon why are you SO BAD

Wow, how can dom produce something that tastes like Bollinger special cuvee at 3x the price? Tons of hay and yeast without the fruit and acidity to balance it out. The minerality is a bit too strong and all you get is lemon and apple. Uggg… disgusting. Is this why Dom isn’t NEARLY the same level as Krug and Salon? So disappointing.

I agree Charlie. The '99 isn’t as good as lot of Champagne at 1/3 the price.

I like the 99 a lot compared to the 98, but that’s not saying too much.

Still, you can’t beat good vintages of Dom for the “paltry” $100 you can still find it for (when the vintage is current I mean, not back vintages).

Ouch

I think its closed up pretty hard since release and I think it will be better than the 98 not that that is saying much. That being said I don’t think it’s a value. Many of the big name tete de cuvees from non-great vintages are not worth the money but they sell because of their name. Champagne is a wine that is well worth going to many tastings for.

You may well be right. I first tried the '98 on 31st December of '06 and, well, couldn’t drink it, honestly. It was a dinner with my immediate family and we had side by side the '90, '95 and '96. The '98 not only suffered in comparison, but was just too tight, one-dimensional, severe, etc. Never bought another bottle of it, but had gotten to try it subsequently because it was served by friends…

However, a few months ago (the 23rd November 2008), it wasn’t bad at all - actually quite pleasant to drink and did very well as an apéritif:

"…previously, noted it as steely, minerally, taut and ultra-focused in its bright white grapefruit, citrus, yeast with just a the merest hint of creaminess surfacing just past mid-mouth. I also noted it several times as linear in character - always likening it to their 1988 vintage - especially after having it side by side the 1990, 1995 & 1996 at my sister’s house in Indiana during New Year’s dinner 2006.

I note now that it has put on a bit of heft mid-palate, picked up more creaminess and brioche notes and the citrus has taken a step or two towards the background. It’s linear personality, laser-like focus and drive, however, remain the same. Bracingly refreshing, I could have easily over-indulged early. Excellent and indulgent apéritif.

So, there may be hope for the '99.

N

I’d be willing to bet that most who have had Dom (the average wine consumer who will splurge for New Years), has no idea that it is a vintage wine - or that there are substanial differences between vintages.

to be honest i also found the 96 a bit light on its feet as well. Maybe I should stop drinking champagne so young. hum.

Charlie - All - saw your allusion to the fact that Bollinger isn’t a great Champagne. I know nothing about Champagne and I am sourcing the 2003 for a dinner at the end of the month. Haven’t bought it yet. I want to spend $100 or so. Thoughts?

oh that’s not what i’m implying at all. Bollinger Special Cuvee is just their cuvee blend at roughly $40-50. Very different from their RD/Vintage wines!

Hmm, I had this New Year’s Eve 2007 and it was surprisingly open and delicious.

• 1999 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon - France, Champagne (12/31/2007)
    Wow, tightly wound but quite impressive young Champagne. Surprisingly complex on the nose with hazelnut, some resin, whiff of vanilla, and some smoke. Mmm, the palate is packed with lemon and mineral but after2 hours it had unwound a bit to show a gentler, creamier personality. This is really enjoyable, and even my wife who generally eschews most Champagne had a second pour and said “this is yummy.” Nicely persistent on the palate with excellent acidity. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks, Charlie.

From what I’ve read I wouldn’t spend the dough on the 2003. Its a one off special bottle from a very hot year. Find a nice 2002 bottle for your dough. If your can find the 2002 Billiot it is an absolute steal at $60 locally. Not sure what it would be out there.

Skip the 2003. Look around and for about that price range you might be able to find the '99 GA. That’s a much better wine, IMO.

1997 Bollinger Grand Annee can be found for sub-$100 and is a great bottle, despite the vintage. If the 99 is the same price grab that, but if the 97 is $80 or so, go that route.

$80? That would be a GREAT price for the 97. $100 is a decent price for both but I think the 97 is the better of the two.