TN: 2003 Ruston Family Cabernet Sauvignon Stagecoach Vineyard (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2003 Ruston Family Cabernet Sauvignon Stagecoach Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (7/4/2009)
    Black and Red fruit jump out of the glass. This is a young wine with plenty of structure and weight. Went very well with our July 4th burgers. Mouthcoating tannins that worked well without dominating the wine. Black fruit with a bit of dusty earth. A real nice wine and a great value. No rush to open if you have some. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note, Fred. Big fan of Ruston, but have had none of the '03s.
Sounds like a winner.
Thanks.

Dennis- I’ve had the 03 and 04 of the Stagecoach. I’d give a slight nod to the 04. No surprise it has a bit more fruit but I really like em both.

Did you buy any of the 05 Cab or Maestra that was on sale ?

John will be releasing the 06 Cab and 05 Maestra direct soon.

Took to a restaurant Saturday night. This has developed nicely in the year since our last bottle. Tannins have integrated well with plenty of weight and mouthfeel. Great balance with really nice fruit and a bit of dusty tannins but not too dry. I’ve opened some young cabs lately to get a read on 06 and 07 and it’s so nice to drink and compare a Cab like this that’s in it’s prime and is a great qpr.

Fred,

What is the price of the 05 Maestra and Cab from the winery. I have never ordered any of their wines.

Luis- the 05’s are gone from the winery and tough to find at retail due to the blow out pricing they did last year. The Cab is probably my all time QPR and I wish I had bought multiple cases. Woodland Hills Wine Company has the 06 Maestra for $ 25 - WHWC.Com. This one needs some time. The 06 cab is just starting to come around.

The winery is selling the 07 Rutherford Cab and Maestra as futures. John Ruston believes the Cab is his best Napa/Rutherford version.

Cab is $ 30 and Maestra is $ 35. Still great values. PM me your email and I’ll send you the order form if your interested. Had the 06 Cuvee Simone last night. Another great qpr from them. Really nice food wine.