Question on Wine Aerator/aeration?

A friend of mine is starting to get into wine, and is also really into gadgets. I have been considering getting him the Vinturi Wine Aerator as it seems like a gadget he might be interested in. I have never used one (and I am not sure I have ever even seen someone use one). If someone is a fan of this, do you really see a difference in using one of these as opposed to swirling your glass? Even if people say it is essentially no different than just splashing decanting it, I may get it anyway just because he’ll think it is fun. But it’d be nice to be able to tell him some informaiton that others have said first hand.

I have used one and I do think there’s a difference v. swirling, but I’ve never done a side by side comparison. The Vinturi works quickly. I don’t really use it much anymore, but when I did, I preferred it on very youthful wines.

I have used them if I open a very young cab and thought they did help. I know some people who use them for every wine they open and I do not see much of a difference unless very young like mentioned. I am sure you will get very differed opinions.

I hadn’t even considered that. The young wine collector, of course, has very youthful wines. Did you ever have a problem with it ‘overairing’ your wines? I have seen some young cabs- especially Bordeaux- shut down with too much air. (for whatever reason, I havent’ seen that as much with California cabs).

Bob,

I never noticed any shutting down. I did notice that occasionally a wine would seem too soft vs. an unaerated sample.

I’d give it a go. They are pretty cheap and it’s fun to compare the Vinturi’d wine vs. the non-Vinturi’d wines, especially when not told which is which.

We have one which was a Christmas gift. Given the price it’s something I never would have bought for myself, but I guess that makes it an ideal candidate for gifting.

It does do something, no question. I believe the air bubbles, injected into the wine when pouring through the vinturi, quickly make their way out and carry with them some aromatics i.e. it definitely wakes up the aromatics over the short term, which will absolutely affect perceived flavor. Whether this actually speeds oxidization/aeration of the wine is subject to some debate and I believe it ultimately isn’t any different that splash decanting.

My sister-in-law saw a friend use one of these asked me about it. I suggested she spend her money on a 1L Carafe to use as a decanter instead. She liked that the Vinturi could effectively decant one glass at a time, as that’s more typically how she and my brother would drink (rarely finish an entire bottle between themselves in one night). So, there is some perceived advantage there for some people. I suggested she get herself some clean half-bottles to go with her carafe, but in the end I believe she got the Vinturi.

that I think is likely the salient point. He’ll have a good time playing with it and seeing if it makes a difference or not.

Bob,

I’ve always done comparisons of the same wine as a simple Vinturi’d vs. not Vinturi’d. Indeed, this was how I first learned of the device, when I was tasting at Chateau St… Jean and they were trying to push it (aside: it is WAY too commercial there). Anyhow, it’d be interesting to put the same wine (Vinturi’d/not) in a larger tasting to see the outcome.

It’s $27 on Amazon but I know I’ve seen them cheaper. Report back if/when you try it.

I just came back from Napa and this conversation came up quite a few times and I heard mixed reviews. Lou Kapcsandy HATES them and thinks it destroys a wine. He is big into popping the cork 8-10 hours before drinking. Dennis at Frank Family thought they have some merit.

Personally, I have done a couple of blinds with my family. Our conclusion was that if you have a good everyday wine the Vinturi helps but if you get a really nice bottle, majority of the time it hurt the wine.

A couple years ago the Vinturi was a big hit at the wine bar I frequent. It got to be like Starbucks where people would order a pour half Vinturied and half straight. That fad has passed, but I do think it is effective for some wines. I’ve used it when previewing pinot that not quite ready for release, and I think it helped open the wine up.

I use one regularly and I think it makes a difference - especially with young wines. I think the biggest effect from a vinturi is unlocking aromatics, but the most dramatic change I witnessed was with a 2007 Wilson Ken’s Reserve Zin. Without the vinturi, closed down nose and no pepper on the palate. With the vinturi, the nose exploded and a great big dose of pepper came with the finish. This was still the case in 2011 when I finished off the last bottle.

Pro: I have seen it seem to improve the experience with young, big wines.

Con: They’re slow, easy to make a mess for a clutz like me, and seem to be prone to cracking even with normal treatment.

We use one regularly at the store when we have wine tastings. I think it makes a difference…especially aromatically.