TN: 2009 Nigl Grüner Veltliner Freiheit (Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal)

• 2009 Nigl Grüner Veltliner Freiheit - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal (7/3/2012)
    I thought this was undrinkable. I like steely and minerally, but this seemed green and unripe and with a bitterness I didn’t care for. Really zero fruit. Very unappealing and at $20, this is very poor value.

Posted from CellarTracker

That’s unfortunate to hear. This is one of the few staples in our house, though primarily because we use it for making (and drinking with) fondue. Plus the fact that it’s available locally and is usually a good value for a nice, though basic GV. We just picked up a bottle of the '09 this weekend since we were running low on the '07. I’ll have to remember to grab the '09 from the shelf the next time we need to melt some cheese and see for myself.

PXL_20210928_005559869.jpg
2018 Nigl Grüner Veltliner ‘Freiheit’ [Kremstal] We had a neighborhood picnic over the weekend, and using a key wine pairing rules (rhyming) I decide to pair fried samosas with this ‘Freiheit’. I’m not sure what happened to OP, and their bottle, but I found the 2018 to be a fresh, lively, low abv Indian summer sipper, which went well with the crispy treats. Skurnik imports this multi vineyard blend. This beginners GV is not concentrated or long, but its a likeable wine, especially if one wants a change of pace to go with finger food, rather than riesling or gewurztraminer. Screwcap closed, vintage only disclosed on the back label, along with the Trocken designation and bottling 19160/18. Quite enjoyable, and a B in my ledger.
PXL_20210926_225745008.jpg