Chablis--Under the radar producers?

I love Chablis flirtysmile and am always looking for new producers. I have exhausted every Chablis at my wine shop and am planning on making a trip to Chablis next summer. Anyone have any recommendations on under the radar Chablis producers I should try to visit? Or other, not under the radar producers I should visit? Thanks!

I’ve had some good ones from Tremblay and frederic guegen. I’ve had good luck so far with their Fourchaume (and l’homme mort)

Dampt
De Moor
Piuze

I love Dampt. His are some of my favorites.

Have not tried Frederic Guegen, but I will definitely look into his wines. I have tried Tremblay once or twice but only recently from the 2009 vintage which to me is not my favorite vintage in Chablis–a little too ripe for my taste. I will be interested to try him again now that 2010s are in.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Louis Michel
Piuze

Liked a couple of Droin wines I’ve had recently, Piuze is another, but prices aren’t really at “under the radar” levels. I think Louis Michel has made some real quality gains recently as well.

Seguinot
Vrignaud

I was there for the Chablis festival this past October (always the last weekend of Oct) and it was amazing. 5 Euro for a glass and you get to try all of the producers (set up in a line of tents) and most of their Grands Cru and all of the 1er Cru. L’escargot, oysters and sausages for snacking and a great festival environment. We did a tasting at Albert Bichot and they were very accommodating and great wines (Beauroy, Vaillons really stuck out for me). It’s a cool feeling to try so many wines that you leave with an genuine understanding of what high quality Chablis is supposed to taste like. Drouhin’s wines we outstanding. I’ve heard good things about Patrick Piuze but don’t recall having his stuff when I was there. The vineyards are only a 5 min walk from the main street as well. I’d highly suggest going at that time even though you said you were planning for summer.

+1 on Louis Michel. had a brilliant visit there last year

Domaine Pattes Loup - very pure and ethereal. I even enjoyed their 2009 which has been a year in Chablis that I have almost entirely otherwise disliked. (They’re hard-core into woo-woo with concrete eggs and all that, but don’t mind that since the wines are great.)

agree with Otto - Pattes Loup.
Not sure if this producer qualifies as under the radar, but Billaud-Simon wines are seriously good.
Best regards,
Kent

Louis Michel (although this name seems to be around more) and also DeMoor, which G2 mentioned above.

Thanks Otto [cheers.gif]

The 2010 Pattes Loup Chablis Vent d’Ange is excellent. It needs an hour or so of air and then the baby fat/richness blows off and a serious but accessible top notch villages level classic Chablis emerges.

Gilbert Picq. His village wines drink like 1er’s, his 1er’s sometimes like GC’s. Nails them even in hot years.

Laurent Tribut

Duplessis.

Dublere – he only makes one ( GC Les Preuses), as he’s a Cote d’Or winegrower, but it’s a great one.

Not sure if you need under the radar producers in Chablis as many of the ‘over the radar’ ones are about as good value as the tiny, search everywhere ones. If you buy Raveneau and Dauvissat at wholesale pricing is ok, only problem is you can’t get enough. Fevre is still fine value in my book as are Billaud-Simon and Droin. Piuze has been discovered. Tribut’s Beuroy is a cracker and still somewhat under the radar and Christophe make some nice wines at good prices.

Forget ‘under the radar’ and buy Montee de Tonnerre. Most of the top tier producers absolutely over-deliver with this vineyard.

Had Dublere recently. Very nice.

Echo Jeremy’s views.