Which Lillian to serve? 2007 or 2008?

I have a dinner party coming up and I’m wondering which is drinking better right now and how long a decant you’d recommend.

Thanks!

You are really splittling hairs on this one. Both wines are exceptional but both very young. I’d lean towards the 07 with at least a couple hours in the decanter.

Tom

I have had both in the last month,to me the 08 was much more ready to go than the 07.Tom is right on the decant time, 2 hrs. min.

I would totally agree with Tom I have had the 08’ twice in the last couple of months and it was really primary. I would lean towards the 07’ with A LOT of air before hand. Either way great juice.

We had the 07 California non-blue label this summer with a multi-hour decant. Has the right stuff but seemed disjointed still. Underwhelming and bummed I opened it.

Why not try both. And you be the judge.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either vintage. Open either in the morning when you get up and splash pour into a decanter. (bottle vertical to force air through the wine). When you are ready to leave for work, pour the wine back into the bottle using a funnel and cork it. Pour the wine back into a decanter 1 hour before dinner is started, (gives it another 1/2 hour in the decanter as you move through appetizers and salad).

And yes, I’d open both just to see the difference and preference of the group.

Charles - How’d it work out?

I agree that either will work with a long decant – it always opens up an hour or two later than I expect. Often it’s better the second day

8 months have been unbelievable kind to this wine as we opened this with grilled rib-eyes last night and I loved it. Showing true Syrah character without being funk-first or too muscular, real balance and terrific accompaniment for this meal. I liked it more than Melinda did.

We found some non blue-label 08s and opened one last night with four cheeses mac n’ chee. Pairing was pretty good, penne was terrific. Wine is obviously very well-crafted and it was decanted an hour or so. Lots of Syrah yumminess and luxurious mouthfeel. Maybe a touch too sweet and a bit hot on the finish. From Zalto Burg bowls.

Mel liked this wine more than I did.

If I had to choose…2008.

Pop and pour. 5 minutes in the glass is enough air. Had a 2013 SQN Syrah last Friday with P&P and it was amazing. Don’t be fooled by the ‘wine needs hours and hours of air’ myth.

Uh, what?

I had the 2008 this week and HATED it. Probably just how my palate took it but super toasty oak and super high and alcohol. Left a whisky after taste to me. 2nd time I have had with consistent notes. Lots of CT love for this wine, so probably just my palate and YMMV.

I opened a bottle of '06 a while back and was underwhelmed for the price. I dropped off the list a few year ago as I can find just as good wine @ half the price for my palate, Cabot and Swan for starters.

• 2006 Lillian Winery Syrah - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (11/24/2016)
    Dark ruby, significant acid on opening, restrained fruit with chewy tannins, was popular with the group and none left for a proper tasting.

Posted from CellarTracker

Post of the year

agreed. a recent 08 blue was almost perfect while an 07 never really came around before we drained it. both 1 hour decant

Can’t speak for the 07, but the 08 is delicious as of 2 mos ago.

Had an 06 regular label a year or so ago and it was spectacular. I have an '11 and that’s it now. :frowning:

I had the 2006 last weekend as well with a 2 hour decant and it was spectacular. It was the last of my 2006s. On to the 2007s next…