TN: Ancient Cognacs

ANCIENT COGNACS - Wentworth-by-the-Sea (9/22/2012)

Our usual HC tasting group got together to try some ancient cognacs. Don made an amazing Peking Duck which was he perfect accompaniment to the tasting. As usual, it was a great night with lots of laughs and meeting new friends. It doesn’t get much better than this.

• 2008 Germain-Robin Pinot Noir Anno Domini - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino
    Hard to imagine this is only 4 years old. Just goes to show that when you put extraordinary grapes into the product, you can turn out wirld class cognac. The nose was very intense with strong aromas of honey, sandalwood, and vanilla. The body was multilayered - always a sign of something great to us. After an explosion of tastes, the finish went on for 60+ seconds. Incredibly smooth. Our #2 WOTN right behind the Ferrand and well ahead of the two Fransacs. (98 pts.)
  • NV Roullet Fransac - Domaine des Forges Grande Fine Champagne 1er Grand Cru de Cognac Grande Champagne 1er Cru de Cognac 70 years old - France, Cognac, Charente, Grande Fine Champagne 1er Grand Cru de Cognac
    We were disappointed in both of the Fransac bottlings. The 70 year old was impressive but simply didn’t have the complexity, depth, or intensity of the first three samples. The middle was shallow - missing something that was hard to place but simply not all together. You could almost taste the inferiority of the grapes themselves. An outstanding bottle that was simply overwhelmed by the competition. (92 pts.)

• NV Pierre Ferrand Grande Champagne Ancestral - France, Cognac, Grande Champagne
    Wow. This one took our breath away. Remarkable nose of marzipan, toasted oak, sweet cinnamon buns. Something you just wanted to bathe in all night. The first taste said it all. Almost everyone started with “oh my god” and it only got more intense from there. The finish easily lasted over two minutes and stayed with you the remainder of the night. Unanimous WOTN for the group. Outstanding stuff! (99 pts.)

• NV Maison Surrenne Cognac Tonneau no. 1 - France, Cognac
    Pure bliss in a bottle. This was every good as we remember from 5 years ago. Beautiful light brown/golden color. Nose was a blend of beach rose, hyacinth, tupelo honey, and sweet figs. The body was the smoothest of the bunch with the finish lasting over 60 seconds. While it was easy to pick the Ferrand as the WOTN, this one fought toe to toe for second. A beautiful grand lady. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Fabulous notes, thanks. Really interested in the Germain-Robin. Dehlinger made a batch from their 2005 second crop with Germain-Robin, and it was just offered in the last mailer. I wonder how it will compare to what you had? Spent 6.5 years in barrel, first 92 gallon for 5 then another 1.5 in 60 gallon. Tom wrote that it was therefore aged the equivalent of about 10 years.

This.

Ferrand Ancestrale is the greatest cognac I’ve ever had. flirtysmile Sadly, it has increased in price to the degree that I can no longer justify buying it. [cry.gif]

How much are we looking at for these cognacs?

Hi Kent: i believe the following were ballpark figures.

Fransac 50 - $300
Fransac 70 - $400
Ferrand: $600
Anno Domini: $350
Tonneau No. 1 - $300

Picked up some bottles of 1975 Maison Surrenne Grande Champagne Cognac Lot David Picoron, 1989 Maison Surrenne Borderies Cognac, and a Germain-Robin Old Havana. Thanks for the review. Looks like Maison Surrenne comes from the cellars of Tiffon Cognac–but I was unable to find any other similar bottlings from Tiffon.