TN: 2010 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Santa Barbara Highlands

Light and elegant, but very flavorful and with nice depth. Think of a full-flavored Mourvedré Rosé with more depth and extraction. Impressed with the Dirty & Rowdy wines so far…

• 2010 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Santa Barbara Highlands - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (10/6/2012)
    Dense clarity and violet color in the glass. Aromas of lavender & herb, blue fruit and spice meld through into the palate. Vibrant floral fruit flavors accompanied by subtle underbrush and spice. Silky and fine in structure - very pinot noir-like in feel. Lingering peppery fruit on the finish. Very nice. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I love this stuff. Managed to try it with Hardy and Kate in Calistoga (recommended), enjoy drinking it at Terroir (SF), and bought a case for home.

These are my buddies so I am a homer for this stuff. I need to try it.

+1
Sounds nice, Matt.
Thanks.

From a quality standpoint, the wines are great. But going beyond that, Hardy is just a super good guy, doing something really unique with a great story. I can’t think of anyone doing anything even remotely similar, in California or anywhere for that matter. The 2010 reminded me of a hypothetical cross between Leon Barral’s Faugeres and Cru Bojo. Delish!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! The Dirty and Rowdy sides have been blown away with the response.

Agree on the notes for the 2010 Mourvedre and think the 2011 might be even better.

Their 2011 Semillon is also a really interesting wine. I didn’t know you could get minerality in Semillon, but this one has it in spades.

Peter, I’m with you on the Semillon. That’s a quite an intricate wine- I’d love to revisit it with some bottle age.